• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I get another to keep him company?

JaniceH

New Kit
Hello :D We have just got a new addition to our family - an eight week old black lionheaded baby rabbit called Black Jack. He came from someone in my sons year 2 class and they own the mum and the dad which have since had another litter (their last). Jack has been very well handled and at the moment is in an indoor cage in the dining room so hes out of the cold wind at the moment and can have lots of love and attention. My children and I left my marital home last year due to domestic violence and the children's 10yr old white netherland dwarf rabbit called Billy had to be left there, and since then my ex husband will not let us take the rabbit to where we now live 200 miles away. So the only time the children get to see their pet is on access visits about once a month. Billy is being very well cared for by my ex and is healthy and happy but the children really missed him hence getting a bunny up here. I bought Billy from the National Rabbit Fancy at the NEC and he still wears his breeders ring. Black Jack will eventually move outside in this rabbit house/run which we had already:
rabbithouse.jpg
and this is Billy the 10yr old bun who weve had to leave behind:
billybunny.jpg

My question is: when we got Billy he was not very friendly towards other rabbits so hes always been on his own, but do we get another bunny to keep Jack company - maybe from the other litter that his parents have had would it be too late to give him a companion? Would that rabbithouse be big enough for two mini lionheads (his parents are about netherland dwarf sized? its nearly three meters long by 88cm wide.

I would always try to pair a rabbit up with another, they are social and need the company of their own kind.

Your best place is to try a rescue centre, they can give you advice for introductions and you may be able to try a couple of pairing to see which is best.

Good luck!

Im sure your bunny would love a little friend to play with :D Like frisky clover said I would try a rescue, lots of rescues will be able to help you with bonding and Black Jack would be able to go along and choose a friend :D

I dont think that is really big enough for 2 bunnies, the hutch part looks quite small

Hi

Sorry to hear that the bunny had to stay with your ex, but as long as he is being looked after. x You need to get him neutered before getting him a friend, which should be a GIRL as male-female pairings are best. Try contacting a rescue near you once he has been neutered for at least a few weeks. He isnt old enough yet though. Wait until he is... (around 5 months) - costs around £30 depending on where you live... and then get him a friend or youll have loads of babies! :(

Don't worry about rushing to get him a friend, rabbits can be bonded at any age. My boys Thumper and Squirrel were 4 and 3 when I bonded them and they had neither lived with another rabbit before. I do agree tho that you would need to look at getting larger accommodation for two rabbits. The bigger the better!! :D

aah thankyou for all your help, I think what we will do then if there is no rush to bond him, is wait till he is old enough to be neutered then get that done. We already have the ark as I used to breed chooks and that used to be one of my bantam houses, I am replacing the floor in the house section and its been pressure washed and restained, so it will do Jack for a while. Then by the time he is old enough to have a friend I will have saved up enough money to buy something big enough for two.

Does anyone have any web addresses of rescues in Cheshire - we live in Nantwich.

I got MJ from Bunnyhops Rescue which is near Bolton, not too far from you which I'd recommend as she helps with bonding

It's run by Kay Waugh tel 01942 810831 and is located in Westhoughton, Bolton, off the M61. She's having an open day on April 28th so maybe you could come along - there's quite a few of us going to meet up there and drool over buns and piggies!!!

Back