• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy Eye

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Poor Fifi has a weepy eye.. noticed it last night as her fur under her eye was all wet but her eye looked clear. This morning i can see little bits in the corner of her eye so guess she has an infection.. cant see anything in her eye so dunno what she's done this time!! :roll: We're off to the vets in 10minutes to get it sorted out hopefully :)

Jack's-Jane said:
Poor Fifi, maybe she got some of her mascara in it :wink:

Janex

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately no.. it was another very fine grass seed stuck behind the membrane of her eye :( She has an infection in her tearduct so had that flushed and now i have fucithalmic eye drops and baytril to give her twice a day for a week.. back to the vets on monday so hope theres no more grass seeds hiding behind her eye anymore or they may have to operate :( :( She doesnt seem bothered by it at all.. actually laid back so i could put her eye drops in and lapped up the baytril like it was carrot juice :shock:

Aw poor Fifi! Just had this with Humphrey, what a pain trying to get Baytril down him! Glad Fifi is being a good girl with her Baytril. Claire x

Diddeen said:
lapped up the baytril like it was carrot juice :shock:

OMG Dougal HATES his, he scr8ws his wee face up and then after he;s had it, he jumps down and flicks his paws at his face, "mum this stinks stop it" :lol:

nicole said:
Diddeen said:
lapped up the baytril like it was carrot juice :shock:

OMG Dougal HATES his, he scr8ws his wee face up and then after he;s had it, he jumps down and flicks his paws at his face, "mum this stinks stop it" :lol:

Have you tried dipping the tip of the syringe into some jam/honey/apple puree?

Janex

I just gave her her evening dose and again she tried to eat the syringe... couldnt get it quick enough.. she does exactly the same with a syringe full of pineapple juice! :lol: :lol: I cant believe how good she is being to let me put the drop in her eye too. Her eye looks loads better already this evening and her fur is drying out now :D
Anyone tried doing a drop of fucithalmic viscous eye drops? Its like lotion but says put one drop in her eye... but i cant make it drop off the end of the tube.. any suggestions??? Both drops ive done today have ended up on her eyelid :oops:

I think i've had to use them with Angela because she's prone to eye infections, is that the little tube or the bottle with the blue rubber bit on the end? I just found that i had to be as quick as possible so she didn't get stressed, i felt horrible doing it but i just had to hold her eye open and then massage it in.
Good luck!
Natassia x

Hi Dideen! I've found that if you gently warm the tube in your hands and squirt a drop ready onto the end of the nozzle, it drops into the eye more easily. It is tricky, though, and sometimes I get the drops stuck on Humphrey's long eyelashes! I also find it makes the fur very gungy and matted around his eye. How long have you got to use the drops for? Claire x

Thanks
The tube is a little white tube in a silver box. I think i have the knack today.. she is being sooo good.. never known her sit so still til now! :shock: Unfortunately she has decided she doesnt like baytril anymore :roll: so thats a bit of a fight but she gives in pretty soon :wink:
She has to have them for a week and the oral baytril for 10days, although we are back at the vets on monday for a checkup

Back