• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice Needed Please - U/D been to vets

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
This morning when I went to feed the rabbits, Benji didn't bother coming over.

He is usually the first to the bars and jumps up to see me. He just sat in the corner :(

When I put their food in, the two girls came charging over but Benji still sat there. I tried to tempt him with a bit of carrot, brocolli and apple but he didn't want it :(

I picked him up and gave him the once over and all seems well but he just seems very lethargic and un-interested.

Don't know if he's pooping or not as with there being 3 of them its hard to tell but I didn't see him eat or drink so far today.

Has anyone had this before? I am going to try and get him to the vets tonight but I am worried sick about him at the moment :(

You should go see the vet for a check up, painkiller and gut motility drugs.

If he's not interested in eating, try syringing some mushed up pellets or recovery solution.

Hope he feels better soon,

Nicola

:(

Thanks guys.

Will see if I can get out of work at lunch time and take him to the PVC then come back to work after.

If I take him to the vets about 1.30ish, will I be ok to then leave him with the girls til about 5.30pm?

If he has gut mobility will it give him the runs or anything?

gut mobility shouldn't give him the runs..just getthings moving whcih is a common reason for bunnies being lethargic....it alos causes pain in tum and bunnies don't do pain well..so a pain killer is a first whenever your bunster is not right.
The PVC will advise you on where to keep him etc. Good luck ..fingers crossed it's just a bit of tummy ache :D

Tummy ache would make sense as when I went to pick him up he moved back away from me and you know how much Benji loves his cuddles :love:

I have told my boss that I need to take a long lunch as its a bunny emergency. Fingers crossed my cuddly baby will be ok.

Will update you all when I have been to the vets

Hope he's ok :love:

My boy, Sooty, likes to scare me by not rushing to the food bowl :shock: first time I was really worried about him and stayed outside for ages trying to get him to eat. :? As soon as I turned my back he dived into the food bowl :roll: as soon as he realised I was looking he stopped and sat back in the corner of the hutch! He was just being a norty bunny and was playing games with me.

I tried the hiding and see if he ate anything thing but he still just sat there.

I hope he'll be ok by the time I manage to get home.

Will be taking him to the vets in the next hour or so... basically as soon as I can get out of work for lunch.

lynda_m said:
I tried the hiding and see if he ate anything thing but he still just sat there.

Will be taking him to the vets in the next hour or so... basically as soon as I can get out of work for lunch.

Is Benji your Rex?

I am sure Rexes are more prone to GI problems. Are his companions moulting? If he has ingested non-Rex fur that could have caused the tummy problem. I have had that happen to a couple of my Rexes who have groomed a moulting fluffy Bun. The Rexes guts just could not cope with the fur :? :?

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
lynda_m said:

Is Benji your Rex?

I am sure Rexes are more prone to GI problems. Are his companions moulting? If he has ingested non-Rex fur that could have caused the tummy problem. I have had that happen to a couple of my Rexes who have groomed a moulting fluffy Bun. The Rexes guts just could not cope with the fur :? :?

Janex

Benji is my rexy type bunny yes. I think he is more of a havana than a rex as he has longer fur than a rex but its the same texture and he has the curly whiskars.

It's funny you should say that about the fur. Anastacia looks a right mess as she is moulting at the minute, so it is quite likely that that is what has happened.

Thanks very much for the info Jane, I will mention this to the vet. It is somewhat a relief actually as I thought I had done something wrong.

You could also try gentle tummy rubs and some Infacol which helps to merge the bubbles so they're easier to pass. Sometimes this is enough to get bunny more comfortable again but I would definately say the vets is your best option for some gut motility and pain relief.

honeybunny said:
any news?

Just this minute got back to work after taking a 2 hour lunch to get Benji to the vets.

Rebecca at the PVC is on holiday but saw another lovely lady vet who adored Benji, she gave him a thorough check over and decided that the problem was probably with his back molars, they appear to be too short and are causing him a bit of irritation which is probably putting him off his food.

She gave him a metacam and baytril injection and has given us some baytril to give him for the next few days and also this stuff called fibreplex (that cost £11.50 :shock:) and he won't touch it.

He had perked up loads when I had got home to when I had seen him this morning.

When we got home from the vets, I tried to give him the fibre paste but he was having none of it... put him back in the cage, tried to tempt him with a naughty bit of carrot biscuit and he had that right down!! Flippin typical.

He seems a lot happier now though than he did this morning.

Thankfully I have a very understanding boss that allows me to go out for long lunches to sort these things out!

Back