• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Willow is dying, i'm sure of it now...

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
It's hard to even post about this. Willow has pneumonia and was first given Baytril via a syringe to the mouth over 5 days. After five days, there was no improvement and she lost another pound in weight :shock: She has since had daily injections of Metacam and something else which i'm not sure the name. This has also not worked. She is now critically underweight. On Monday, the vet started on one final 5 day injection course of an alternative medication. One is injected into the skin and the other into the muscle. She does not seem bothered by it though. She has her head tilted back and mouth open gasping for breath. It is heartbreaking watching her :cry: She does not eat pellets or hay anymore and hardly drinks anything. She does eat savoy cabbage leaves and carrots though, which we put out for her all the time. I just put a pile of rabbit friendly veg and water out in the run all the time hoping she will eat something. This is so bad :cry: If she does not improve by Friday, there is nothing left to do according to the vet. I just don't know what to do, my head is in bits. Flopsy is constantly grooming her. He knows something is wrong. :x :x I just have this really bad feeling that she will not make it, she is not responding to any medication :cry:

oh im so sorry! im afraid i have no advice cas i havent been in this position myself but many people have found themselfs in the same way you are. must be heartbreaking for you. thinking of u and noserubs to willow x

I wish there was something I could do or say to make things better for you and poor Willow....here's hoping for a miracle turnaround :cry:

Amanda x

oh i feel so sad for you :cry:
if she is not responding to the treatment and you really think she is dying perhaps u should tell your vet you dont want to wait n e longer as it is breaking your heart watching her (and flopsy) like this :roll: :cry:

I don't want her to suffer any longer than she has to, but how do you know how much they are suffering? It's horrible, it really puts me off having rabbits in the future. If the worst happens, what do I do with Flopsy? Do I leave him on his own, or do I get another rabbit for him????

oh bless your heart, i guess she will let you know if she has had enough, and i think it sounds like that may be now, but i could be wrong sweetheart i feel so sorry for you. and Flopsy.....well i am not really sure how it works with bunnies but i know when our dog was PTS our other dog mourned for her and he seemed lonely, and when a friends horse was PTS her inseparable friend stood there cleaning her then when it happened he ran up and down the field screaming for her. :cry: all animals deal in different ways so i cant help with the bunny one. but perhaps in time another companion will be good for him. :wink:

I am so sorry :cry:

A mouth breathing Rabbit is a Rabbit in severe distress :cry: :cry:

I really think that if Willow is permanently mouth breathing, ie is doing so NOW then she needs to see the Vet NOW too. I really feel bad about distressing you, but if Willow is mouth breathing she is suffering :cry: :cry:

PLEASE try to get her back to a Vet tonight if she is mouth breathing. I know you have done all you can to help her.

Janex

Sorry to hear about Willow, I've been in your situation (as have many on these boards) and it is horrible.

I had a guinea pig in a similar condition a few years back. I gave him Sudefed (1 ml), Metatone, it's a human tonic (5 ml), and put olbas oil on some tissue in his bedroom. He still passed on but it seemed to help a bit.

If she passes on, I would get another rabbit for her mate, it will help you and him to come to terms with the loss.

I really feel for you and your bunnies.

Hugs

FC

Is she getting bisolvin?

That will help if she's got mucus in her lungs, try disolving a spoonful of Vicks in hot water and placing nearby Willow, should help to open up the airways

I'm sorry to hear Willow is so poorly, fingers crossed something helps her

I'm sorry to hear this. Your bunny is suffering now. The vet can put her to sleep and your bunny won't suffer any longer. It is the right thing to do. It's very hard but do it now.
I'm sorry. :(

:cry: So sorry to read this. Poor Willow knows he needs to cross to The bridge. Thinking of you and Willow xx

Poor Willow. :(

Alice was like this during her last few days and it is very distressing to watch your bunny like this. I tried to make her comfortable by giving her Bisolvon and I also made her a steam chamber by putting her in a carry box with a towel over the top and put a few drops of kids Olbas Oil into hot water for her to breathe in. I honestly think this caused her more distress even though it was recommended to me by a vet. Alice was also mouth breathing and I watched her lips turn blue before I managed to clear her nose a bit.

It's obviously your decision as only you know your bunny, but I would say she is most probably in distress and you can help her pass to the bridge where she will finally be able to breathe properly and binky away with all our bridge buns and watch over you.

Hope this helps, my heart goes out to you and Willow.

Gemma xx

Sorry to hear how poorly your lovely Willow is. Hoping for a bunny miracle for you but you will know what is best for Willow.

Fiona x

Back