• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

difficult problem

Natassia

New Kit
I rehomed 2 rabbits, a neutered male and neutered female pair last june. They had to be rehomed as a pair becuase they were found together with a litter. Unfortunately the male died 2 1/2 weeks ago and i don't know whether the female is lonely or not, or whether to replace him for company for her. She's still eating and is friendly etc, she seems to be ok but i feel sorry for her living on her own, as she was bonded to the male. We introduced her to our guinea pig in the run and they got on fine, but when we tried to put the guinea pig in her hutch she tried to chase her out, i think she was being territorial.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Natassia

hi Natassia

you will find most people on here are quite opposed to rabbits and guinea pigs together if past responses are anything to go by. have you considered a new male rabbit to go with your female, many rescues will assist with bonding?

Neil

beckiboo186 said:
Yeah, Not a good idea to keep bunnies and guinea pigs together :) I'd say get her a little bunny-boyfriend :) X

yes i was told by my cousin who is very into guinea pigs, that the reason they are not very good together is because rabbits have quite strong hind legs and can eaily break a g.pigs back. :? not sure if that is true though but it freaked me out and put me off :roll:

Thanks for your replies, the only reason i tried to put the guinea pig in with her was because i asked a pet shop owner and he said that instead of getting another rabbit (he said they would fight) that i should put a guinea pig in to keep her company, and we already had one. Do you think that i should just leave her to live on her own now, or do you think shes lonely?
Natassia x

Rabbits are social animals. They live naturally in groups and share their life. They sleep together, cuddle together, eat together, dig holes and play together.
Therefore it is better to get your rabbit a new friend - of his own kind.

There are many reasons why you should not keep a guines pig and a rabbit together:
They behave diffently, they have diffenrent daily routine, they often annoy each other. The guinea pig is usually in the inferior position because of its lesser size.
The guinea pig get on the rabbits nerves by making a lot of noise and running around the whole day. Rabbits prefer to sleep at daytime an get active at twilight.
The differences in social behaviour brings up al lot of misunderstandings. For example, rabbits lick each other very often for comfort and as a social activity. Guinea pigs only lick the face of a fellow to calm it down. And from different signs of threat trouble can arise.
Biologists of the University in Muenster found out that guinea pigs prefer on their own rather than living together with a rabbit.

I agree with the others about the guinea pig. Rabbits can accidentally cause thm serious injury and they also have different nutritional needs. Plus - piggies don't talk the same language as rabbits :D
Rabbits are very sociable and will usually be happiest in pairs. Your best bet would be to get another nueterd male to go with your girl. If you find a local rescue they may well offer to do the bonding for you - many do :D That way you can take your rabbit along and they can try her with their boys and see who she likes!

Thanks everyone, will speak to my mum about getting another male. just one more question though, if i got a male that wasn't neutered would he try to mate with her all the time and cause a fight? she's been neutered so i don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancies. she can be quite sassy and domineering, her previous mate was laid back so i think she needs that character again in another male, if a male rabbit is neutered does that make him more chilled out and less annoying to the females?
Natassia x

Natassia said:
Thanks everyone, will speak to my mum about getting another male. just one more question though, if i got a male that wasn't neutered would he try to mate with her all the time and cause a fight? she's been neutered so i don't have to worry about unwanted pregnancies. she can be quite sassy and domineering, her previous mate was laid back so i think she needs that character again in another male, if a male rabbit is neutered does that make him more chilled out and less annoying to the females?
Natassia x

Yep, Def better to have him neutered/get a neutered boy ... otherwise he'll annoy her BIG time X

I agree with what other people have said, but would emphasise the 'go to a rescue that will do the bonding for you' bit. Otherwiwe you end up with two rabbits that hate each other and have to be kept separate, so you have to get two more to keep them company, who hate each other......

I would strongly recommend get her a new companion. Look for a Rehome rabbit in your area, many members here has homeless bunny shelters, find a member in your area.

The fact is, your bunny is used to a companion for all those years, all of a sudden without a companion, can be of serious stress one way or the other, rabbit hides their sickness, so your bunny could be in stress and won't show it

Back