• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites mites mites mites mites mites

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck

My bunnies have mites. I noticed them all down their backs (mega dandruff etc) and vet said a sample showed a few mites. There is some scaliness too.

They are all starting on weekly bimectin (oral). Is this the right medicine? The dose seems small too about 0.05ml (which I put in a little sterile water) and seems odd to only give it once a week (for 6 weeks).

My questions are:

What else can I do? Should I groom them - obviously using their own comb?

Should I use a spot on thing too - are fleaas different from mites or are they the same things?

I will keep their bedding clean but I always do. This is all getting utterly awful now.

How did they get these? Are they sore - Marcy has some red patches and I think Archie does too

Should I wash them - I think the shock would kill them to be honest.

Help help help help help!

Mites mites mites mites mites everywhere

Fiona x

P.S. can I catch them?

Mites are not that serious :lol: , you can't catch them. They can come out of hay or anything, it's nothing dirty. They need treating as they can make your bunny poorly. I normally have three weekly injections from my vets and all bunnies that live together have to be treated.

You're ok to groom your bunny just watch the area if there is a patch of fur missing as it could be sore. Don't wash your bunnies they treatment should clear them up.

Oh no Fiona!!

Bonnie had mites when I first rescued her. I think the vets called it walking dandruff (or cheytiella not sure how it's spelt!!) She had a couple of shots of Panmec (again not sure of spelling) which vastly improved the condition, but she always had little bits of flaky skin. My vet told me, it could be because the bunny has been stressed and made them a bit low. Or it could have been caught off some hay. I was advised to change all the bedding and hay. I was also advised to groom her especially along her back where she could not reach herself.

It did mostly clear up, but she did continue to gets some flakes from time to time, although this might only have been her skin.

Hope your mites clear up soon. Not sure if humans can catch them, I didn't get any reaction to her mites though.

So sorry you have to deal with this too.
Take care
xx

Poor Buns :(
Cheyletiella mites can occur with Buns who are not able to groom themselves due to dental problems. They can also occur at times of stress.
A course of Ivermectin should clear them up. (Bimectin is Ivermectin) You can calculate the dose here :

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Oh, and hoomans can have an allergic reaction to Cheyletiella mites, I do :roll: , but they dont live on us

Janex

Cheyletiella mites can occur with Buns who are not able to groom themselves due to dental problems

Yep, Bonnie had very bad dental problems, although the vast extent was not known at the time of the mite outbreak, but yes that figures!!

SOAD said:
Mites are not that serious :lol: , you can't catch them. They can come out of hay or anything, it's nothing dirty. They need treating as they can make your bunny poorly. I normally have three weekly injections from my vets and all bunnies that live together have to be treated.

You're ok to groom your bunny just watch the area if there is a patch of fur missing as it could be sore. Don't wash your bunnies they treatment should clear them up.

:shock: my vet told me that when Tilly had mites, that i could catch them off of her??? that i could get, ok is it scabies?? (i reallly hope i havent totally embarrassed myself again....ike the time i had chicken pox real bad when i was pregnant and my dad caught shingles but i told everyone he had sphyillis :oops:( no wonder i got funny looks))

Well thanks folks, all bunnies have been groomed and looked a lot better after it. They are still all very itchy though.

Vet nurse is ordering some spot on stuff too to help a bit more, particularly for Nell. I hope its not Frontline as I found something to say that had serious neurological side effects on rabbits.

It did start when Marcy was under the weather, possibly stress related and now the others have them.

Cleaned everything in sight AGAIN tonight and exhausted!

Jane, I have a hugely troublesome rash on both hands and arms and am convinced it is a reaction to these little blighters.

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
Jane, I have a hugely troublesome rash on both hands and arms and am convinced it is a reaction to these little blighters.

Fiona x

that is wjat my vet warned me about.......best get to your docs! :roll:

Fionabun said:

Fiona x

Try some Tesco Non-drowsy Antihistimine tabs :thumb:

Janex

Only just read this so thanks folks!

Poor bunnies look so tufty and scraggy because of the little mites. I feel so sorry for them as they don't have an easy time of it at all.

My hands are in a terrible mess but I just thought I was allergic to the hay. Sort of figures now though so maybe this has been a problem for longer than I realised.

Fiona x

xeno 450 is great. My house bun obi had mites and i treated him with this and he's now miteless :lol: . Its a spot on treatment especially designed for rabbits, ferrets and guinea pigs. Much better than sticking needles in as you can do it yourself.

Good luck

Gem

Back