• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

scratch and newton hutch covers??

charlie3

Warren Scout
What do people think of the scratch and newton hutch hugger and hutch snuggle covers??? Any good because quite pricey?! :?

Would be grateful for opinions please before i buy the biggest one (nearly 6 foot length by just over 2 foot wide and high). In the process of thinking of ideas for a new hutch so i can rescue another rabbit). :D

Cheers,

Claire (mummy of a mini lop called charlie)

I have a besoke on for my 5' double hutch and run - I have the insulated silver one and the waterproof one that rolls down, as well as the run cover, and I personally find them invaluable!

They keep all the horrible weather out, and the silver cover comes with a detachable fly screen which is great for the summer months! It keeps the hutche warm in winter and cool in Summer aswell, reducing the risk of flystrike.

Money well worth spending!

IMG_1515.jpg

Amanda x

Hey!

I have one - a large one too. It has been invaluable over the winter at keeping the wind and rain out.

I don't have have a snuggle. Rabbits deal very well with the cold as long as they are sheltered from the damp and the draughts. Buts it is uselful for the fly screen - as already mentioned.
I do have the bottle snug and this has stopped the freezing!

I know you can do it much cheaper too - before i got the cover i just used plastic sheeting and bricks to hold it onto the hutch and that worked quite well. I just find the cover much easier to deal with as the velcro keeps the flap down well in high winds.

Also as the cover goes all over the hutch it will probably prolong its life!

Well worth the money. I don't have one personally as I have house rabbits. However, if I was to get an outdoor hutch I would definitely invest! I use the bottle snug to stop my bottles going green, it also stops the water from getting too warm during hot days. They are also very effective at stopping water freezing during winter, my friend with guinea pigs swears by them!

I would like one but like you say they are a bit pricey. I use bubble wrap and a tarpaulin in the winter months to cover the hutch and clear plastic sheeting to cover the run. My hutch is in a very sheltered part of the garden too.

hutch covers

I emailed scratch and newton to see if they can make me covers to fit a 6ft x 2ftx 2ft hutch with same size run underneath (as sold on happyhutch.com) as thought it would be better if the cover actually covers the lower compartment of the hutch as well as top living area. They said they are not making bespoke covers at the mo! Shame.

I will just have to have a hutch made. Any ideas for good hutch making companies??

Do you think it would be ok for the top compartment of the hutch to have the covers and then in winter put some bubble wrap or similar round the open run beneath?? The bottom run compartment will be open to the slabs, is this ok all year round? There is a trap door between compartments that i can shut if the weather is really bad or wet?? :roll:

Hope that all makes some kind of sense!!!!

Claire

I bought both the snuggle and the cover for Thistle Hall. The hutch is under my balcony and never really gets an rain on it, but we do get a lot of wind and I thought the combination would keep them cosy when they do go outside finally :) (Wanted to wait until all vacs done and over surgery)

To be honest I thought it was rubbish and sent mine back - it was supposed 2b 4ft, which my hutch is, but they don't allow for the lip round the edge - the sellers advice was 2 saw the lip off :roll:, and when it rained it got soaked through anyways, cuz it's not proper waterproof it's like the stuff shower jackets are made from. I jst didnt think it was worth the money at all. I bought clear tarpauline instead and use it on bad days, but to each their own

I think the best thing about them is that they're a lot neater than the other option I used, which was a shower curtain held down with pegs and rocks, or those corrugated plastic sheets! :shock:

I haven't got a snuggle thing, just the hugger but I think they're great.

I'm not as keen on the run cover because you can't get into the run easily if your hutch is a single layer.

Back