• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to email or not to email

someone has just posted the following on freecycle. im itching to write an email on suggesting taking the lil chap to a shelter and also about how he shouldnt be going to live with rabbit.
im rubbish with words tho...could anyone help me out ?

Hi I have a much loved guinea pig whose looking for a home. He was
living with his rabbit friend who was very old and she died a couple of
weeks ago. I have female guinea pigs and to neuter him costs £50 which
I can't afford. I don't want him to be lonely he is very friendly and
would love him to find a home with a new rabbit friend although they
must be a small breed. I would like to deliver him anywhere within 15
miles of Thrapston.

Something along the lines of .....

Whilst rabbits and guinea pigs can live alongside each other it is not advised as rabbits can carry diseases that do not affect them but can affect the guinea. Have you visited this forum wwww.guineapigrehome.org.uk (I think :oops: )? This is a a great website where you could either advertise your guinea to be rehomed or did you know that male guinea pigs, if introduced carefully, can live together happily. Could you concider keeping him and getting him a male friend?

i already have a male who is 3 yrs old - id be very tempted but im adopting a new bun soon and really dont think i have to time to devote to bonding 2 sets of animals sadly

Might be worth encouraging the advertiser to keep him, if they had enough room for him to live with a rabbit they must have enough room for another pig?

When I was looking after guinea pigs (my sister has them now!) I did some reading and I understand that two males living within smelling distance of female guinea pigs will fight. The fellow said he can't afford to neuter him so its fairly obvious that he couldn't afford to neuter two males, the poster could keep the piggie on his own but it sounds like he couldn't give that guinea pig a companion.

If you do email that person, I suggest that you advise him of ways to make sure that his piggie gets a better home, give him the number of your local rescue or point him at http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/

Back