• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jack-One Year On

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
It is a year today, 27th March 2007, since I had to say farewell to my very special Bun Jack :cry: My world changed forever that day and will never be the same again. I would like to take some time to tell you about Jack.

Jack came into the world, along with his 3 Brothers and 4 Sisters, on 1st December 1998. His Mum, Beatrice, was one of my very first Rabbits

Beatrice

Scan10003.jpg

She was bought from a Pet shop :shock: :oops: along with her two Sisters, Megan and Eleanor. Beatrice became pregnant as a result of my ignorance in not knowing a recently castrated Buck (in this case Seamus) can remain fertile for several weeks post op’ :oops:

Seamus

Scan10018.jpg

I learned the hard way as he impregnated two other Does aswell :shock: :shock: I kept every one of the babies from all litters (15 in total). There began my rather ‘eccentric’ lifestyle living amongst lots of Bunnies!! :lol:

Jack was the runt of the litter, always much smaller than his siblings and with a deformed front foot. But he was such a little character and always up to mischief.

Jack on Top of His Brothers and Sisters

Picture674.jpg

Baby Jack

Picture672.jpg

He lived in a group with his Brother Ronan and his two Aunties, Megan and Eleanor. I was lucky in that Jack and Ronan never fought prior to neutering, were neutered on the same day and so were never apart from the day they were born.

Sadly we lost Megan to Ulcerative Pododermatitis and Osteomyelitis :cry: Then we lost Ellie to Mandibular Osteomyelitis :cry: Ronan and Jack remained close friends. They were always together lazing in the sun or digging up my garden!!

Ronan and Jack

Picture187.jpg

Jack Digging!!

Picture155.jpg

In 2004 I became very poorly and for a while it looked like I may not be able to cope with looking after my Rabbits :cry: I had the threat of enforced hospitalisation hanging over me and I felt so hopeless :cry: The final straw came on 10th November 2004.
I was upstairs at about 430pm and suddenly I heard a blood curdling scream. The scream of a Rabbit……. I ran downstairs and in the kitchen found a scene of carnage. A Fox had come INTO THE HOUSE via an open window and murdered Ronan :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: It was a sight I would never want anyone else to see. Jack witnessed it all and was just screaming and screaming :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I thought he would die from shock.

Jack survived, although badly traumatised. I, however, was so weak and useless compared to him. Things for me went badly wrong and a few weeks after losing Ronan I did something very irresponsible and selfish. But it didn’t work and I came too on the kitchen floor with Jack nibbling at the sleeves of my jumper. How could I have ever thought of leaving him and all my other Rabbits.

Since then I may, at times, have got to a very ‘dark place’ with depression but I KNOW I could NEVER let my Rabbits down. I honestly believe Jack saved my life that day….

A few months after losing Ronan I managed to bond Jack with Maggie. They became very close friends :love: In the summer of 2005 Jack developed a lump on his left thigh. A biopsy showed it to be benign but my then Vet still thought it should be removed as it was likely to grow quickly and become disabling. Unfortunately once under GA it became apparent that the mass had attached itself to lots of ‘internal structures’ and removing all of it was not possible :cry: Over time the lump grew and eventually meant Jack had little use of that leg. Amputation was the only option. But I did not feel I could put Jack, now aged 7, through such major surgery. He was not in pain and so I felt it kinder to allow Jack to enjoy his remaining time without the trauma of a hind limb amputation. For several months Jack remained very mobile and able to jump up onto his favourite place in the garden :D But eventually the mass began to interfere with the blood supply to the effected leg. Jack was less able to get about but still remained very happy and ate huge amounts!! By now we had registered with a new Vet, the lovely Christobel :D She suggested starting Jack on Metacam just incase he was in pain. Although not once did he appear to be. Eventually, due to the poor blood supply to his leg, it became very oedematous so Jack was started on a diuretic to keep him more comfortable. We knew he was very much on borrowed time :cry: :cry:

Jack with His Poorly Leg

Picture491.jpg

Rabbits928-1.jpg

Jack and Maggie

Picture606.jpg

rabbits761.jpg

The diuretic did reduce the oedema in Jack’s leg but it also caused him to leak wee. This in turn made him sore despite my vigorous efforts at keeping him clean and dry.
My Vet explained that due to the poor blood supply to Jack’s leg the skin would eventually begin to break down. I knew that when that happened I would have to let Jack go :cry: On the afternoon of 26th March 2006 I noticed the first sign that the skin on Jack’s leg was breaking down :cry: We spent our last evening together and Jack had lots of his favourite food and snuggled up to Maggie.

Jack on the Evening of 26th March 2006 Eating Treats

Picture646.jpg

On the morning of 27th March 2006 after Jack had had a big tasty breakfast I took him to see Tim, Cristobel’s colleague. As I held Jack Tim gently helped him to The Bridge :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I really did not know how I would go on without Jack. Some days I still don’t know. But Jack was always such a positive, brave, happy Bunny and I owe it to him to do all I can to help the Buns who are still with me.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my wonderful Jack Rabbit

Jack, missed every day, adored forever

Picture687.jpg

Jane x

That is wonderful Jane. I never knew all of jacks story but I think you were very lucky to have him, and he you. I will be thinking of you today
love Ruthie xxxx

What a lovely story.Very sad in parts :( :( .
You were very lucky to have had such a special bunny.Just as Jack was as lucky having a special mummy.
Thinking of you today and sending hugs.

Becca

Oooo Jane, that's made me cry! Jack was obviously a VERY special bunny and he'll definitely be in a better place now. Thinking of you today chick.xx

Oh Jane...I am sitting here in tears reading Jack's wonderful story!

I always knew he was a special bunny...but never knew how special and courageous he was.

I can see why you feel so desperate sometimes without him.....but I believe that he was brought to you for a reason...to show you that no matter what trials we endure, we can get through them, especially with the help of our loved ones(and you certainly have lots of love from your furry friends!)

And although I don't personally know you, I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that you are just as courageous as beautiful Jack and he would be so proud of you :)

Rest in Peace lovely Jack, and keep sending that courage to your mummy who misses you so much :cry:

Amanda x

nearly made me cry. i am in school reading this. I hate the thought of losing my dog or rabbit! you just jave to be proud that the fought till the end and that you gave them a happy and frutiful life! you cant dwel on the things you didnt do but the things you did!!

hehehe

be brave

Cait x

BobandAbby's mum said:
Oh Jane...I am sitting here in tears reading Jack's wonderful story!

I always knew he was a special bunny...but never knew how special and courageous he was.

I can see why you feel so desperate sometimes without him.....but I believe that he was brought to you for a reason...to show you that no matter what trials we endure, we can get through them, especially with the help of our loved ones(and you certainly have lots of love from your furry friends!)

And although I don't personally know you, I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that you are just as courageous as beautiful Jack and he would be so proud of you :)

Rest in Peace lovely Jack, and keep sending that courage to your mummy who misses you so much :cry:

Amanda x

I agree 100% :D .

Thinking of you Jane on this difficult day :( .

Jane, thankyou so much for sharing Jack by telling his story again, which must have been incredibly painful. I am sitting here with tears streaming reading about him :cry: What a wonderful and special boy he was. Even though I have never met you, I read your posts and feel like I know you and your furry family a little now. You are such a caring and committed owner. Sending (((hugs))) for you. Jack had a fantastic life with you. I know he is missing you too :cry:

Jane, what a heart-rending story. I know how much you must miss Jack - what a special bunny he was! All I can say is he had the most loving, caring mum and I'm sure he knew that. I can't thank you enough for all your caring advice over the past few weeks, Jane. I found it very hard to cope with Poppy's illness, but your kind words helped such a lot, along with your practical advice. Thinking of you today! Claire x

:cry: :cry: Oh Jane, I've never fully heard the story of Jack's life until now. What an amazing bunny he was. :cry: I've always thought that my Ruby looked like Jack and now after reading that I feel proud that she gets to share her looks with such a special and amazing rabbit. Binkie free Jack rabbit. Xx (hugs to you Jane)

I had no idea this had happened on the day that I joined RU! :shock: One year ago today I got my bunnies and joined RU!

Jack was a lovely boy, and so brave.

:cry: What a much loved bunny Jack was and he loved you loads too. A very sad posting to read but also uplifting as Jack saved you. RIP Jack bunny xxx

Aww Jane. That was a moving story. I don't know what to say. I did wonder about the fabulous Jack, and now I know. Just to say I'm thinking of you today and your not alone.
Take care. And look after yourself and those bunnies.
Juliaxx

oh jane what a heartwarming story. thank you for sharing that. he does sound like such a special bun! great photos aswell.
thinking of u today xxx

Oh Jane,
Thankyou for sharing Jack`s amazing story with us. Yes, like others i`m in tears having read it :cry: :cry: So sad in places but explains sooo much as to why Jack was such a special man who obviously loved his mummy sooooo much.

I know Jack is watching over you & making sure his wonderful mummy takes care of herself.

Thinking of you today.
Big hugs,
Su & Mark.xx

Back