• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some RU vibes for my old man....U/D We're Home

Beaney

Mama Doe
Austin has the vet tomorrow. He has been a bit of a poorly lad for many months now. His age finally catching up with him.

Due to his arthritis he struggles to keep himself clean, litter training is completly out the window. The risk of fly strike means he is now being bathed everyday which he HATES! His quality of life is now beginning to go down and whilst he is always pleased to see me and still the cuddle bunny he always was, he now refuses to eat hay and is not himself :cry:

We are back at the vet 9am tomorrow to try and come up with some options.

Please can I have some RU vibes for my old guy.....

Awww I really hope he's ok Sabrina, only you know what his quality of life is like. Don't rush into any decisions, maybe he's just having a bad week and might pick up soon.

Whatever the outcome, I'll be thinking of you and Austin

Kathryn xx

Awww poor Austin :( I can understand your worries but have you tried to use baby wipes instead of bathing him? I use baby wipes on my older and disabled buns :D If they get really bad then I give them a dry butt bath using Cornflower - pop it onto some cotton wool and gently cover the dirty area - or use and old make up brush :) Let it dry out and then gently comb the area :D
You could ask the vet about Cartrophen injections for his arthritis as they work very well :D
Will be sending vibes to Austin - xxxx

Loads of vibes for Austin and loads of (((Hugs))) for you Sabrina, I really hope everything will be OK for your little man

Good luck xx

Thanks for all the well wishes and vibes, it seems to have worked - Austin was much brighter this morning :)

We are now back from the vet - bit of a mixed bag really. My vet said she is definatly seeing a 'slowing down' in him. He has lost a little weight since his last check before Christmas but is still a fairly good weight for his size. He has some spikes on his molars which is not helping matters but a GA is such a big thing at his age that, as he is eating, I am going to leave it for now. I will start to weigh him weekly and see how we get on. Obviously he will have a dental if eating or weight loss become an issue.

The main issue is the arthritis and him keeping himself clean. Austin has been 'rearguard'ed and I have a list of things that I can buy to try and repel any flies. The vet was very impressed with how clean he was considering so at least I know I am doing a good job at the cleaning . I just worry because it is not nice for him to keep being dirty. It does seem to get to him because he really is trying to keep himself clean. The stiffness in his legs means that he does struggle sometimes with getting around but he does still try. Also flystrike is so quick - I just hope rearguard is as good as they say!

We did discuss PTS.... the second it was bought up I just burst into tears (my vet is used to me now!). I don't think he is quite ready to give up yet - he is having his bad days but also good ones too. Whilst the good days still come I will continue to fight with him. The vet has warned me that he is very elderly and we will come to a point in the near future where the bad days out weigh the good and we have to rethink that decision but I will cross that bridge when I come to it..... :(

For now, at least, he is home :)

So glad Austin is home again. Great news and well done on keeping him so clean, I know how hard it can be sometimes. With regards to the dental do you know a vet near you who could do his teeth without having to put him through a GA?

So glad to hear you & Austin are back home & you`re obviously doing such a good job caring for him.

Thinking of you both,
Su.x

Back