• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floss's weird hairdo!

capel

Warren Veteran
I took this pic to let you all see her mysterious hair loss. I've been watching her closely all day and she's definitely not scratching at it, nor is Bournville nibbling away honing his barbering skills! If I just give the gentlest tug on the hair in that area a tuft comes away with a bit of skin(hair follicle?). Kevin rang today to say the 2nd skin culture has come back negative so he's as mystified as I am! I'm emailing him the latest photo and he can read up on alopecia in rabbits!! If you look closely you can see where the next bare patch is developing..there's an area almost down the centre of the muzzle where you can see some small patches of lighter coloured hair..I think that's going to go as well!!
DSC01926.jpg
[/img]

Hello,

have you went to the vet for checking this mysterious hair loss. I think it could be something like a fungal skin infektion or mites.

I think you should introduce your bun to the vet.

Greetings Kristina

Ottilie said:
Hello,

have you went to the vet for checking this mysterious hair loss. I think it could be something like a fungal skin infektion or mites.

I think you should introduce your bun to the vet.

Greetings Kristina

Floss has seen the Vet and microscopy came back negative for everything :wink:

Janex

That is puzzling, nothing worse that the vet not knowing what is going on. I hope you can get to the bottom of it. :D

hi.my bam occasionaly has a little hairloss on the back of is neck.the vet gave him a thorough check during his latest vaccination and suspects alopecia! :)

mimi75 said:
hi.my bam occasionaly has a little hairloss on the back of is neck.the vet gave him a thorough check during his latest vaccination and suspects alopecia! :)

But what is the cause of the alopecia??

Hi. She is a fab hay eater, and I keep her diet as close as pos to that of a wild bun i.e no pet shop"treats", just hay , fresh green veg and a tiny amount of ss pellets so no problems dietary -wise. She's had a thorough check with my very rabbit-savvy vet, including skin cultures from the affected area. These have all come back negative for ringworm, mites. etc. She is very healthy apart from this. Alopecia can be caused by stress, but she's been a housebun since mid January, and ours is a quiet house with no other pets or children. Her friend, Bournville, is fine and doesn't seem to be grooming her in that area. The hair is growing back in patches. I reckon it'll remain one of those mysteries of life!!

this may be a silly suggestion and if it is please ignore it :oops: but if it is caused by stress could something have happened like something falling over near her or a loud noise outside?

sorry i cant help further but hope she is feeling better soon :love:

No nothing's fallen over near her..no loud bangs that I can think of. She doesn't appear to be having a moult. She is more skittish than Bournville but noises don't seem to faze her that much. E.G. when they are out in the garden bournville tends to bolt for cover when there are sudden noises i.e lawn mower starting up., aeroplanes overhead etc, whereas she just continues grazing oblivious to the commotion! Her hearing's ok though..she can hear me opening the vege back through 2 closed doors :lol:

:lol: just an idea lol

(my two can hear me chopping veges downstairs - the kitchen is directly below my room - and they start dashing around and getting excited lol :love: )

Back