• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nails...

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi,
Ok so when I got Paddy, I had a whole list of things to do including get his nails clipped as they were on the long side, have him vaccinated and neutered. Unfortunatly I haven't managed any. He was due to be neutered last wednesday (after a wee spraying incident!!) but he had a eye infection so I wanted that to be out of the way before he went to get his op...ditto with the injections! Which left the clipping of nails. I didnt want to do it last week as I was already squirting stuff into his mouth, I didnt think he would appriciate me cutting his nails aswell but I decided to have a go tonight. With all my previous bunnys I have clipped their nails myself, its not too difficult and they didnt seem to mind so I thought it would be similar for Paddy...but I was wrong!! He was fine being held, I made him feel secure and he seemed ok, untill we touched his foot...he didnt like that at all. We calmed him down and tried it again but not a chance!!!!! Im not too sure whether this was because he is in a random mischevious mood today like not wanting to get out his hutch and thinking its a game of chase so I am intending to have a go again in a few days. However, does anyone have the same problem?? If he doesnt like getting his nails clipped at home then I'm pretty sure he would be even worse going the vets!! As of yet he hasnt got a run but the free run of the kitchen and back room as I am getting one built to how I would like it but when it comes he is going straight on concrete to wear them down (only for a hour or so then he will play on the grass)....any other advice and help would be much appriciated on how I could possibly trim them down a bit as they are long. :)

Charlotte (& Paddy)

Marlon goes nuts if I touch his feet! He's a bit of a hyper bunny! The vet will be able to do it, I'm sure they deal with plenty of grumpy bunnies!

I take him to the vets and they have no problem, he just sits there like nothing going on! If you're worried though, you could ask them to do it when he goes in to be neutered as it's much easier while they're under GA.

Ps. Paddy's gorgeous!

Sometimes Jasper has a mood on her and does not like me touching her feet. If she gets too bad then I tend to sit her on my knee or lie her on her back on my knee which puts her in a trance, then I cut her nails. Usually, this way is sucessful.

Hello,

I know your probs very well. My Julian does not like clipping the nails also.

I asked the vet to do it when I took my buns to her for the check-up. She did it very well and it was much less stress for me and for Julian. ;)

Greetings. Kristina

Some people enwrap their bunnies into a towel too keep them calm during giving medicine or cutting claws. I have not tried it myself, so I can not guarantee if it works well.

If he's going in for his op soon why not ask the vet to clip them while he's under GA? Easy for everyone then!!

I've been told to put Nunzeo in a trance when I cut his nails (which I haven't had to do yet). I'm not sure how safe a 'trance' thing is, but it worked very well when I had a bunny emergency involving gaffa tape stuck to fur. I got it off with no troubles, I should imagine that its the same for nail clipping!

Back