• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another P@H grumble

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
went today to get another wheel for the hamster and perused at the lil bunnies.

They must have been about 6 weeks old if that (spoke to the manager she said they only buy in at 8 weeks)

That wasnt tha main prblem though- the poor bunnies were peering through the bars ar a staffy bull terrier whos owner was going 'look look, whats that boy'

Anyway, management turned a blind eye and i noticed a little lop boy was 'scanning' so they booked him for the vets tomorrow. Have left my details but the girl prolly wont know what to tell the vets as she looked at me like I was mad.

So they promised they would call after the vets to let me know but i think the poor baby was half blind. He was EXTREMELEY sweet though

Some blue/red eyed rabbits do this cos their eye sight is not that good, or it helps them to see better. Rabbits have poor near sight vision.

People at P@H don't really seem to know what to do, do they?

Me and my friend were in there once and we looked at the buns.They were mating with each other.The buns could have forgotten they were the same gender but they did it a lot!I told the lady at the counter as no one else was around, when i payed for what i bought. We hung around for ages after just browsing and nothing was done at all. I didn't tell her again as i felt like i would be a pest but one of the buns who was being mated with was not happy.I just hope no one bought the bun and found out she was pregnant and hadn't a clue what to do and took her back! :shock: :? :(

I think they need to give staff special training! :roll:

Amyx

p@h are awful. I went on my way home to get some nail clippers for Paddy (It was late and the only pet place open otherwise I'd have gone elsewere!!) when I walked in there was no1 about so I looked in all the sections and could only find ones in the kitten and puppy section which were suitable (they were the same as the ones I had for my old bunnys that have somehow gone missing) so, just to check there were no others I asked the lady who I eventually found who told me she didnt know, she didnt know if they had rabbit ones, she didnt know if they could be used on rabbits as they only said 'animal' and not specifically rabbit. I thought this was quite silly only to be shocked that she was, not only selling someone a rabbit who was standing next to me filling forms out, but when I walked away was telling a lady to get her dwarf lop rabbit a cage that would just about fit a hamster in on its own! (slight exaggeration!! but I'm sure you know what I mean) and was telling her not to get a the big massive hutch that she was looking at as 'it was for outdoors!!' I couldnt resist going back and telling the lady to get the hutch, it wouldnt make any difference indoors and it was far bigger than the one the lady was trying to get her to buy. Shocking!!

nicole said:
Some blue/red eyed rabbits do this cos their eye sight is not that good, or it helps them to see better. Rabbits have poor near sight vision.

it had black eyes (well they were bluey grey)

too young for cataracts but still a bit to grey for my liking

charl343 said:
p@h are awful. I went on my way home to get some nail clippers for Paddy (It was late and the only pet place open otherwise I'd have gone elsewere!!) when I walked in there was no1 about so I looked in all the sections and could only find ones in the kitten and puppy section which were suitable (they were the same as the ones I had for my old bunnys that have somehow gone missing) so, just to check there were no others I asked the lady who I eventually found who told me she didnt know, she didnt know if they had rabbit ones, she didnt know if they could be used on rabbits as they only said 'animal' and not specifically rabbit. I thought this was quite silly only to be shocked that she was, not only selling someone a rabbit who was standing next to me filling forms out, but when I walked away was telling a lady to get her dwarf lop rabbit a cage that would just about fit a hamster in on its own! (slight exaggeration!! but I'm sure you know what I mean) and was telling her not to get a the big massive hutch that she was looking at as 'it was for outdoors!!' I couldnt resist going back and telling the lady to get the hutch, it wouldnt make any difference indoors and it was far bigger than the one the lady was trying to get her to buy. Shocking!!
Shocking i know!

too young for cataracts but still a bit to grey for my liking

Dont some bunnies just have that colour eyes though :? Beau has one blue/grey eye and Im pretty certain he can see alright :lol: Scarlett is an albino and does the scanning thing to help her see and my vet said its nothing to worry about, its just what they do :D

Amsy1991 said:
charl343 said:
:shock: :? :? :x Shocking i know! :? :evil: :x :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Amsy1991 said:
I think they need to give staff special training! :roll:

Amyx

At the Motorworld stores, one of the prerequisites of the job is that you have to have a basic knowledge of cars and stuff. Don't know why P@H don't follow suit :roll:

i was at P@H a few weeks ago in Newcastle (Gateshead) and they had tiny baby buns (i would say about 6 weeks old) they were all in one cage and i seriously doubt they were all the same sex as there was about 10 of them.

i was also at a garden centre last week and they have a pet shop there which i popped in to get some more rabbit food and i coldnt help but take alittle peek at the buns (bad i know) and there was one a lionlop which only looked about 5 weeks old so tiny about half the size of the otherrabbits it was with and they were selling it for £30 and there was a group of white buns with red eyes which they were selling for only £5 i asked one of the workers in the petshop why they were going cheaper then the other rabbits and they said its harder to sell buns with red eyes :x

Amsy1991 said:
People at P@H don't really seem to know what to do, do they?

Well. Thanks for that.

charl343 said:
I asked the lady who I eventually found who told me she didnt know, she didnt know if they had rabbit ones, she didnt know if they could be used on rabbits as they only said 'animal' and not specifically rabbit. I thought this was quite silly

Well, there are a lot of products in the store! It took me ages before I learnt what we did and didn't sell. Why is it silly that she wasn't sure whether they could be used on rabbits or not? I would be very cautious about saying that a cat/dog product would be fine to use with rabbits, if I wasn't 100% certain that it would be ok. Yes, the design of it is basically the same, but perhaps there might have been reason why the manufacturer didn't specify it as suitable for rabbits? Not necessarily likely, but I wouldn't tell somebody 'yes definitely' if I wasn't sure.

charl343 said:
when I walked away was telling a lady to get her dwarf lop rabbit a cage that would just about fit a hamster in on its own! (slight exaggeration!! but I'm sure you know what I mean) and was telling her not to get a the big massive hutch that she was looking at as 'it was for outdoors!!'

A slight exaggeration? Do you mean an 'indoor rabbit cage'?

Not everybody has the space in their living room for a large hutch! I know for sure that I wouldn't have room :roll: If the rabbit is living indoors it is therefore likely to have a lot of 'out' time. The lady in question may have a large utility room, and was just looking for a bed area, and the rabbit would be out for the rest of the day. Alternatively, it could be a temporary cage if the lady is planning on bonding the bunny to an existing rabbit.

I once went into a different branch one day, and caught the tail-end of a rat sale...
I was shocked to see one of the assistants selling a single rat with a hamster cage...so I actually SPOKE to the assistant, and it turned out that the people who bought her were actually going to be introducing her to their existing colony, and the cage was just a temporary measure.

Surely this is the best thing? Actually trying to find out the truth, rather than making assumptions?

Crystal butterfly said:
i seriously doubt they were all the same sex as there was about 10 of them.

What made you doubt they were the same sex?

i'm guessing you work at P@H?

Well I have always been disgusted by the conditions the animals are in at my local one, i went in to buy some guinea food and there was a dutch rabbit humping a baby guinea, the poor thing was terrified!!! I feel sorry for the animsl, somebody had a pit bull trying to get the rabbits and they were just laughing at it and the staff just stood around even though they knew about the dog.
people at P@H do need training better, i was watching soem one buy a rabbit and the worker coukldn't get it cos it kept running off so she grabbed it by it's ears and then scruffed the porr thing and shoved it in a box! :evil:

because in the whole petshop they had about 10 rabbits and tehy were all in the same cage normally a petshop has a few males and a few females a mixture. im not saying its impossible for them to have been the same sex im just doubting it :? lol

there are good and bad points to every store but i think there should be some 2 week training course- dedicate 2 days to each animal-

this way the staff can answer questions accurately.

I must admit i was pleased she took my concern seriously and is taking him to the vets but I was upset about a)the age of the buns and b) the blind eye to the staffy snarling at the buns

but i also have to whinge- i bought the big 10 kg hay bale and inside it is damp and a bit musty

but im sure it will dry out- they have ready grass too

Take them back :lol:

In my opinion, disgusting conditions would be rabbits/guineas in tanks, not cleaned out for days, no hay, no veggies.

Your concerns are more with the circumstances, rather than conditions.

The rabbits/guineas are being split to stop those sorts of situations.

But I agree about the handling - that particular member of staff obviously forgot that it specifically says 'do NOT pick up a rabbit by the ears' in the training manuals :roll:

Did you tell the manager about this particular member of staff?

cavysrock said:
I feel sorry for the animsl, somebody had a pit bull trying to get the rabbits and they were just laughing at it and the staff just stood around even though they knew about the dog.

Strange how these two different shops are allowing these bull terriers in to play with the rabbits whilst staff watch as you are only allowed to take guide dogs into mine??? :? But yes, the staff should have asked them to leave the dog outside.

Amsy, with regards to the bunnies mating I'd say at a guess that they were probably too young to get pregnant if they were boy and girl and as you know girls hump girls and boys hump boys too, it's part of their "culture"

I have bought shavings and hay from P@H and been happy with the quality. If you got a bad batch cavysrock, like FTWA said, take it back!!!

My rabbit Flopsy has black eyes and she scans but the vet has checked her and her eyesight is fine, I also have a rabbit, Jess, who has one black eye and one half bluey/grey and half black eye and her eyesight too is fine. There have been a few threads on this forum with regards to scanning and whilst it does seem to be more prevalent in REW it can also affect rabbits with darker eyes too. The fact that the shop assisstant didn't really understand what you were on about Jemma doesn't really surprise me because scanning is not something regularly talked about and before I came on this forum I had never heard of it either.

Whilst I agree with the general consensus of this forum that pet shops shouldn't sell animals I feel we slate P@H cos they are an easy target and we love to do it ..... my local store does still keep rabbits and pigs together but as FTWA has said the company is making moves to correct this. The rabbits at my local P @ H are always clean, watered and fed with plenty of hay. There's a pet shop round the corner and the rabbits there would concider P@H to be a luxury move ......

No i do know what you mean, ive never had a complaint aout how they are kept- i think the conditions are brilliant.

My main concern was with the dog being allowed so close to the rabbits( just mesh between them)

but i see your opinion- i use P&H approx every 2 weeks and they do have some good stuff on display- and like i said im happy the staff is taking him to the vet today.

That were my 2 main concerns a) the age of the rabbit and b) the allowing dogs so close.

The sotre does say on the door 'dogs welcome' but i think they should be watched a little more.

But valid points - id just had a bad experience this time round.

Back