• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warm temperatures

Muppet2

Alpha Buck
How warm is too warm for a bunny?

At the moment Muppet lives free range in my dining room/kitchen during the day where he has space but nothing much that he can damage. (Fortunately he doesnt seem interested in my dining table and chairs...).

But it can get quite warm in there for a couple of hours a day when it's sunny - something of a conservatory effect - due to the patio doors. (No curtains or blinds.) It's only a couple of hours because of the position of the garden/shade. I've got a room thermometer so I'm going to check how warm it gets now but how warm is too warm??

I may have to find him alternative daytime space during the summer. Even if I got blinds for the patio doors, he'd then spend the day in the dark!

What temp does your living room get too? I think any thing over 18/20 C is too hot (for an enclosed space) Could you open a window to let a breeze in?

You can get a fly screen and put it over the window so the flies dont come in.
Or if you are in most days you could get a baby gate for the patio doors and leave the door open.

I'm not sure what the optimum temperature for a rabbit is, but has he got somewhere sheltered he can go? Have you got tiles on the floor he can lie on to keep cool? He definately shouldn't be stuck in a room that's too hot tho, alternative accommodation does sound like a good idea.

Leaving a window open is not an option. This is for during the working day when I'm out - I've already been burgled once, I'm not openly inviting more! :lol: The heat isnt an issue when I'm home cos of course (a) he's not shut in there and (b) I can open windows.

He can go in the kitchen which is cooler - but I dont know by how much since it and the dining room are more-or-less open plan.

Any thing over 25 deg. C is too hot. You don't have to guess, you can tell. If it's too hot, you'll notice your bunny keep taking breath and part of their body keep wobbling (the muscle just before their rear leg). It happens here in the summer.

I think any thing over 18/20 C is too hot (for an enclosed space)

That was the OVERNIGHT temperature last night (without the central heating on).

Well I'll just have to monitor and see. Thanks HH for your advice - I think high 20s is probably right.

Back