• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Having problems getting rid of squidy poos

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
I'm really having problems getting Amber and her kits poo's back to normal. They have been off veg for a week and a 1/2 and i am starting to cut down there pellets to 1/2 a bowl between them but today Poppy had a big clump of squidgy poo stuck to her bottom. They are on excel pellets now and me and my mam were thinking of waiting till i can get out on Saturday and changing them over to another pellet food and see if it is excel causing the problem. Anyone have any ideas this has been going on for weks and doesn't seem to be getting better :(

There have been some threads about excel causing squidgy poops; definately would be worth swapping to another pellet and seeing if it helps.

maybe you could try one of the pellets with really high fibre, also i thought baby buns should have unlimited pellets :?

Well baby girls are still with mum as we don't want to split them so i'm trying to stop her eating to much aswell and it's not good if they are getting tones of squishey poos. WHat pellets have the highest fibre?

Not entirely sure but i think its either PF4P hifi pellets or oxbow bunnybasics pellets :wink:

Amy used to get loads of squishy poos on Excel, she is now on A+P pellets and pretty much never have any now. It's got a good fibre content and Amy loves it! Though I don't think it is as tasty as the Excel. Do your bunnies eat lots of hay?

they all eat tones of hay, i have to fill it up twice day most times and it's a really big one. They can eat through a bag of lunun hay in a couple of weeks between them.

Hi kezza , i had the same trouble with one of my buns on excel pellets . even reducing the pellets did not work , so he now has only hay and vegs and this did the trick . What i did notice was that his poo went from a dark brown colour to a light tan after stopping the pellets .

Seems alot of people have squishey poo problems on excel so i shall definatly try a different pellet with higher fibre, hoping this does the trick.

We had the same problem here with excell and squishy poos, my poor bun was so bad she had to have her fur clipped.
I bought some A@P and Science Selective, she definately preferred the SS and her poos are better than what they were before!

Does anyone know where you can get small bags of A+P i can only find 20k on sites. Going to go out and buy a bag of SS today nad start the change over slowley. Wish i hadn't bought a knew bag of excel yesterday but needed it anyway for the change over :roll:

same here - my two buns have been great on SS. Its readily available in the shops and they really seem to enjoy the taste.

Good luckxx

My bunnies had problems with squishy poos with excel so i switched them to science selective and they love it. Plus, no nasty poos to be seen! :D

Thanks for the hellp. I'm going to try SS with them and see if it improves. Sent my mam out for some today but our local didn't have any but the shop assistant was trying to tell my mam that excel was fine and to just cut it down and give them carrot and greens but no lettuce. I ended up getting annoyed that she believed the assistant as i don't feed lettuce to begin with, i have cut down there pellets but the babies get to hungry so have to give them more still being so young and it was the veggies that started the problem anyway and i'm sure i read that they were to young to have veg anyway :evil:

Back