• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for Rescues - Food

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I visited my local rescue this weekend and noticed all the bunnies were on the mix meusli type food and had terrible poos. I have no idea how much this food costs but I presume a rescue may get bulk discount of some kind. The thing is, I know Allen & Page bunny pellets are really cheap and are also high in fibre so should help the buns poo problems.

How do I broach this subject with the rescue? I believe it will help them save money and the buns will be healthier. Would you mind if someone criticised your feeding of the buns you have in rescue?

Opinions please!? :)

Gosh! that's a difficult one :shock: , I think they may well me uptight if it comes across as a critism, but if you make a suggestion it may well be accepted better, can't you buy a bag of A&P and take it to them so as you can talk about it, maybe they don't know about A&P

Good luck!

i agree...bring it up in conversation rather than as a criticism.

you could always start by saying "my bun has these sticky poos and I've just found out if I change him to a pellet it should clear up... have you heard about that?" or something along those lines :oops:

I would also agree bringing it up in conversation rather than as a critism. If you can find out where locally it can be obtained from and at what cost that will help you put across your case, perhaps even offer to bring in a small bag for them to try if they would like.

A&P is not easily available in the area where we live and if you are wanting people to have access to it when rabbits have been adopted it is very useful for a local supplier to be known to sell it.

I picked one of my buns up from a foster home where she was being fed mix and I asked about it and the lady said it was what the rescue provided her with. She was fostering for a national rescue who I would have thought would have known better, and when I met the representative she just said that that's what they're supplied with.

Thanks everyone! I'll definately make sure I don't sound like I'm trying to criticise them, I'm most definately not as they do a wonderful job. I know the manager there and I think he'd be receptive if I said they could possibly save some money and help the buns at the same time...

I'll have a go and let you know how I get on. :D

Gemma xx

I feed my buns on mix as they refuse point blank to eat anything else and I know a rescue close to me has had the same problem

Any advice on persuading them to eat pellets? I've tried Excel, SS, and A&P and they just won't eat them :roll:

kayjay said:
I feed my buns on mix as they refuse point blank to eat anything else and I know a rescue close to me has had the same problem

Any advice on persuading them to eat pellets? I've tried Excel, SS, and A&P and they just won't eat them :roll:

Are they good hay/grass eaters? If so and they also get a variety of veg then they really dont need a concentrated feed. So leave some pellet feed down and NO cereal mix. As long as they eat LOTS of hay/grass and a variety of veg they will be fine even if they dont touch the pellets

Janex :)

Right, I've checked Allen & Page suppliers and there are plenty in the area. Does anyone know the approximate cost of feeding the meusli mix in bulk? I know A&P is very cheap and I'm assuming it's cheaper than the meusli, but I could be wrong...?

Any ideas before I mention it to the rescue?

I'll be going on Saturday armed with my old hutches and to pick up our new addition - Betty!! :D

AliBenMummy said:
Right, I've checked Allen & Page suppliers and there are plenty in the area. Does anyone know the approximate cost of feeding the meusli mix in bulk? I know A&P is very cheap and I'm assuming it's cheaper than the meusli, but I could be wrong...?

Any ideas before I mention it to the rescue?

I'll be going on Saturday armed with my old hutches and to pick up our new addition - Betty!! :D

The bag of museli I get is Sweet Meadow Rabbit Mix, from a supplier, it's a huge bag and costs £7, I'm not sure the weight but I'm picking one up on Saturday so can check, it's very heavy, too big for me to carry on my own to give you some idea

Jane - I don't know if they're good hay eaters or not, I leave them a huge amount of hay down in the shed as they like to make a bed out of it so it's hard to tell once it's flattened. I only give them one 'rabbit bowl' sized a day and when it's gone it's gone so they must eat the hay.

Back