• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnancy

Unfortunately there is very little way to tell until its too late, rabbits hide pregnancy very well. You may notice a little weight gain and in the latter stages enlarged teats as they begin to produce milk. The most obvious sign is when they build a nest, nest building is done 5 to 7 days before birth is immenant. Buns are pregnant for usually 28 days upto 30 days. If you highly suspect a pregnancy than the only real way to know for sure is a pregnancy ultrasound at the vets.

Yup, really hard to tell, and both mine only built their nests the night before so no warning what so ever!

They start shopping for larger maternity pants, get cranky, want strange things to eat at all times of the day and night, have problems getting on and off the couch, sometimes I've seen their noses getting a little bit larger. :lol:

When mine were pregnant it was not obvious at all apart from in their behaviour. About a week or so before they had the kits they plucked all their hair out and made nests.

When I thought one of my girls was pregnant I took her to the vets and the vet was a huge rabbit enthusiast and did an ultrasound on her for free just out of interest. The rabbit babies were so cute on the screen!

Tracy..I thought your bunny was only a youngster? :?

Do you have others?

Also some bunnies have hormonal phases where they build nests even if speyed :?

i never knew my bun was pregnant she hid it very well she didnt look any fatter then usual, i didnt notice a diffrent in her eating or behaviour. she even built a nest hours before she gave birth i didnt know she had built a nest as i was asleep at the time. when i woke up all i could here was moving around noises comeing from my buns box but Crystal was lying in the corner so i got up and carefully lifted her box and all i saw was a babys bum before i quickly dropped the box back down in shock... lol not the best way to find out your rabbits had babies lol

Your vet could tell you if you were worried as they can feel the foetuses at about two weeks old, but obv it depends on how rabbit savvy your vet is. Mine is really good and keeps buns himself, he didn't harm the babies by feeling and even told me how many there were!

I read somewhere that it was dangerous to breed from buns that weren't fully grown? :? Frenchie's aren't fully grown until they are a year old.

So if this was a planned pregnancey and the female has been humped by the male...a good chance she is expecting...
hoping she isn't and it's just a phantom :D

Angie65 said:
I read somewhere that it was dangerous to breed from buns that weren't fully grown? :? Frenchie's aren't fully grown until they are a year old.

It's not a Frechie that is pregnant and the breeder told me our frenchie has to be 10mths to be mated and below 12mths else the pelvis fuses or something

i believe you can feel the kits about 10 days befor the birth (day 18/20) as well as behaviour etc mentioned above

Back