• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why.....

Dobbin

Mama Doe
are my bunnies chewing the ladder in their hutch? They have the run of the shed with lots of toys, hay, places to hide, things to run through and things to gnaw at so why are they attacking the ladder!!!!??? Does anyone have any suggestions of other things i could give them? Thank you!

They have willow sticks, willow balls, gnaw stones, wodden hay house (hay holder thing), hanging toys from hay experts, just tomention a few of their things!!

Sue
xx

If you find the answer, let me know! LOL!

My two have lots of lovely chew toys aswell, but they insist on chewing the legs of their summerhouse (their little wooden house in their run)

Maybe it tastes better :roll:

Amanda x

BobandAbby's mum said:
If you find the answer, let me know! LOL!

Ditto!!

My two have destroyed the run, it's chewed to bits I'm surprised it's still standing. They have so many toys, chews etc etc but oh no the run tastes better! :roll: So sorry I can't help!

Bunnies chew tree bark, the ladder/run edges are probably the closest thing to a tree trunk :) Try cable tying their chew toys to parts of the run/hutch they like to chew ;)

Tam

:lol: I used to have this problem as well - I wonder if it's because the legs, ladder, etc are fixed in place and they get better purchase on them whilst chewing - they can have a really good chew at the wood without it moving? Just a thought ... not sure what to do about it though! :lol:

Try cable tying their chew toys to parts of the run/hutch they like to chew

I tried doing that, cable tied willow sticks right round the bottom of the run...they've gone! Think I might try those log things with the holes in :idea:

I found that apple sticks worked, they love to chew on branches / twigs / sticks from an apple tree, just make sure they haven't been sprayed with anything

Hope it helps

Hello,

rabbits have a natural drive to nibble at things. Offer them branches of apple trees, beech trees, birch trees or hazel trees.
I think then the destroying of the ladder will stop.

At your foto I see that you feed maize. Please don't feed any cereals. They contain a lot of starch whitch cann't be digest by the rabbits digestive tract and causes al lot of digestion problems as dysentery or exhalation. At long sight the starch will damage the digestive tract particularly the intestinal flora.
Digestive tracts of rabbits are layed out to sparse feed like grass, branches, leaves.

Greeetings. Kristina

Mine done that aswel, i have a double hucth two stories and my bun kept eating the ladder and pulling it down and jumpin up rather than using the stairs and everytime i put it back up he continued to hall it down and eat it, so i have now left it down and he just jumps up and down :lol: x

probs for the same reason that nce again, during the nite, my buns have removed all the bedding from their bed area and thrown half into their living area and half down the ladder into their run, even tho I jst cleaned it all out last night and swept the run and made it all nice - to remind me that they do what they like no matter what I do! :roll: :lol:

I've got a little guy staying with me at the moment, and he's eating the ladder in my beautiful hutch!! :eek: I dont mind though, tis what bunnies do :D X

My Frenchies Louis and Lottie have errrm massacred their big run. Ive had to put metal beading all round it :shock: I supply them with copious amounts of toys and willow and vine balls too. Its just a bunny thing ! :lol: :lol:

Back