• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting House Buns onto Grass

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering what the best thing is to do for letting Maddie our housebun into the garden to enjoy this lovely sunshine. Last week, she went out and she tucked into anything green in the garden and ended up with a dirty pooey wet tail. No puddles of runs, but just "wet stains" on her bum (and on my top eww).

So I gave her literally 6 or 8 blades of grass yesterday and again same problem. So do I keep giving her grass in the hope that she will get used to it eventually? (and keep the baby wipes handy!) Or keep her off it full stop? (Doesn't seem fair)

Thanks

Hiya

When she lived with my Alfred - although she was outside - I had a shed linked to an outside run on rubber stable matting, I started off with putting them out on grass for about 15 mins and built it up gradually from that.

Although it was August when she moved in with Alfred, and the grass was probably not quite as rich as it is now.

(having horses - I'm very aware of the high nutrient content of spring grass and the complications it can cause).

Hope she is well. I'm just putting Alfred (now a house rabbit) out on the grass for very short intervals, although I do find with him, if his tummy gets upset - he takes about a week to get over it.

Hope that helps

Jx

Back