• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Volunteering?????

lucyj

Mama Doe
In 2wks my uni classes are cut back loads, I've offered to do some extra hours at work, but I'm going to have a few hours a week spare. There's a cat and dog home in Aberdeen, and I was thinking about phoning up and volunteering, maybe go a couple of times a week and take a dog out for a walk. I'm not sure tho as I've never had a dog of my own before and maybe they would only want experienced handlers. I'm sure they also have rabbits as well, we went a couple of years ago when we were thinking of getting a dog, and I'm sure there were a couple of runs on the grass. So maybe I could help cleaning out hutches, maybe even with a few buny cuddles!

Are places like that normally receptive to that kind of offer? I'm a bit nervous about offering as don't want them to think I'm a random maddo. Also worried about getting attached as I know I will! I don't think it's a rescue that puts animals down, I'd have to check, as I couldn't cope with that i'd have them all home with me!!!

Are places like that normally receptive to that kind of offer? I'm a bit nervous about offering as don't want them to think I'm a random maddo

I think most rescues would be happy for someone to come and help them out :D Dont worry I doubt they will think your mad :lol: x

Go for it :D I've just recently applied to work with bunsters at a place round here, Got to send a CV off and have a sort of training/interview thing, Maybe you'd have to do that too? :) X

The day I was there, a couple of people did come back with dogs, and a couple seemed to be taking them out (for a walk, not home), but they were all a good bit older so this is what made me think they'd only want experienced handlers, and the only other people in the place seemed to be proper staff as they had uniforms on, but surely there can't be too many hands on board? Maybe volunteers have to wear their tshirts too :?. Maybe I might have to do that becki, dont know if they'd think it was worth it tho if I'm only offering a couple of hours a week.

I have had rabbits, cats, hamsters, rats tho so I'd be happy enough handling them, and have taken care of other peoples dogs and walked them so............

hi
it's possible the people you saw were retired i don't mean to sound ageist or anything but at the rescue i help at most of the volunteer dog walkers are older but it's purely because they have more spare time . some aren't very experienced and the satff match them up with a suitable dog.
for example take me for instance when i first started i was clueless so they paired me with this rottweiler/great dane cross big dog but a complete softy just to get me broken in. i don't help out that often anymore as a bit busy these days but i'm sure the'll appreciate oyur help although as beckiboo said you may have to send a cv i had to.

good luck
leona

awww that sounds good. What like a normal work cv, or like with details or your animal experience??

Back