• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home check

islalee

Warren Scout
For the people who do home checks on here what sort of things do you look for?
I have one coming up and I think I've got it all really great for Nunzeo and a new friend, I think I have covered everything, but I'm not sure!!!

I dont do homechecks but I had one not long ago :D They had a look at my hutches and my room because thats where Beau was going to stay for a few weeks. I brought the bunnies in for them to see and have a little play with :D Umm they just asked questions about what I fed them and what signs of illness I look out for and how much time I spend with them. I showed them all the books I have read about bunnies, the others vaccination cards and gave Trip a little massage while they were here. I think one of them thought I was a bit crazy though :oops:

Good luck though, Im sure you will be fine :D Oh and they had a quick look in the shed at all the hay and bunny stuff

islalee said:
For the people who do home checks on here what sort of things do you look for?
I have one coming up and I think I've got it all really great for Nunzeo and a new friend, I think I have covered everything, but I'm not sure!!!

Which rescue? I'm purely being nosey :)

Its one in chichester, I was going to call the southampton lady but I got to these first and they sounded really nice.

I really hope my home check goes ok, I had a really bad dream about it last night (how sad!) in the dream they said my set up was so bad they'd have to take Nunz away too, argh!!!!

I'm sure it'll all be fine! You're obviously a very caring person, or you wouldn't be worried about it! Good luck (although I'm sure you won't need it)

I'm sure you'll be fine. I've done a few home checks (and had a few) and I always go expecting them to be ok, look for the good and if there's anything to be concerned about talk it through and if the prospective owner is happy to take on board suggestions and is keen to find out as much as they can then it gives you a good idea of whether or not they'll be good adopters. This is how I've been approached by other homecheckers too.

Jemma&Theo said:
Has anyone evr had to say no

Yep..most of the time you can filter out the "No s" on the telelphone for obvious reasons..yesterday for example the hutch was too small and the person didn't accept this.

and , as Chloe has said, some people just need some advice and will happily take it. I've had people go and buy new bigger hutches, mae runs more secure, buy a different feed to the one they have always used or get their own bun vacs for the first time as before they didn't know you should...these people just get a 2nd quicik check and then can have the bunster.

BUT it is amazing how many people lie...(sorry for these old examples if you've heard them before :oops:) These 2 are the worst cases
I had one person who i spoke to several times, tell me all about their "rabbit village " "Huge hutches with runs attached that are at least 6 ft by 10 ft..out whole garden is dedicated to the rabbits as we don't believe in confining them"
I went out to check..and there garden has a wendy house..for the kids..a huge swing.. a large cherry tree...and agaisnt the garage wall one hutch 3 ft wide with a dwarf lop in and a 4 ft max one with a lionhead and a baby giant in! :twisted: I asked where the "village was" and they said the hutches were temp til they built it..then said they had ahd the adult buns over 3 years..not temp :evil: If I hadn't done a physical check the would have convinced me by the conversation of a wonderful set-up and would have adopted 3 of my liveliest bunsters :cry:

the other one I went to sounded a really nice lady who cared about her bunny...when i got there the bunsters hutch had a hole in it the size of a small plate..was covered in sticky poo and had MAGGOTS :shock: in it..the bunny herself had overgrown nails and was overweight :cry:

Why homechecks are a must

I think im really enjoy doing them. If anyone else needs one in my area ask me first......

Ill cover stourbridge, Halesowen, birmingham, wolverhampton, wombourne, penn, dudley, pensnett, kingswinford, wordsley, wallheath parts of warwickshire, solihull etc.... just ask

Im so worried!!!! I have got everything ready, and got new rabbit toys as I've never got toys that are made for rabbits, usually cat or baby toys. I've sorted out his vaccinations, and a vet check up for wednesday, and his book of dates and stuff about him. I'm going to tidy up his mess the day before, and everything will be fine......

Hopefully I'll have a girlfriend for my boy soon!

islalee said:
Im so worried!!!! I have got everything ready, and got new rabbit toys as I've never got toys that are made for rabbits, usually cat or baby toys. I've sorted out his vaccinations, and a vet check up for wednesday, and his book of dates and stuff about him. I'm going to tidy up his mess the day before, and everything will be fine......

Hopefully I'll have a girlfriend for my boy soon!

Dont worry, you will be fine :D

Its tonight at 7, so eveyone keep their fingers and paws crossed for me and Nunzeo. I told the lady that he isn't going to be a very happy bunny today, because he had his myxi jab yesterday and he now hates me, but he'll feel better after a bit of banana, which he's going to have just before the lady turns up, because he doesn't like anyone but me going into his room!

Spoilt bunny.

Back