• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

speying a bonded bunny

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi, my french lop is nearly 6 months old so I am going to get her speyed soon. She is very much in love with Jinxy, a small lop, I know he could go to the vets with her, but what about when she comes home, they live in a shed, so would I need to restrict her space so she can't damage herself, while she's healing, or just leave them to it, on nice soft fleeces? Also, on average how long is the healing process for a spey?

Thanks.
xx

I just posted the same question on rabbit care, my Frenchie is 7 months old now and starting to love her OH a little too much for his liking :shock: :lol:

It took 10 days for Smokey to recover. I would restrict her to the shed afterwards on soft bedding like vet bed or old duvets. She will need to spend the first night or two indoors though. I let my male stay with my female. He is neutered and it helped her to relax when she was inside.

Hello,

I get my female rabbit castrated one month ago.

At first - you have to differ speying and castrating. If your rabbit is speyed the tubes will be only be ligated.
At a castration the tubes and the uterus will be removed. I myself prefer a castration of female rabbits because the hormones will be changed and the rabbit will become less aggressive and there are no more problems with pseudopregnancys. Last has been the reason for me to get my female rabbits castrated.

To your question:

When your rabbit went home you have to look after that she didn't cool down. If that happens the circulation will be break down. I've got a infrared-lamp for medical use. So offer the rabbit a warm place with infrared - but please choose it so, that the rabbit can leave the place. Otherwise it will get a heat stroke.

The second thing is - don't use the normal litter. For 8-10 days fill the litter pan with old towels or tissues for kitchen use. So you avoid infections at the lesion.

Maybe at the first two days you have to force feed your bun. So ask your vet for forcible tube feed.

The last thing you have to think about: what to do that the bun does not open the suture.
I made something like a "t-shirt" for my bun. I take a old sock and cut off the top - where the toes will be inside - and the cuff. After that I cut in four holes for the legs.
This "t-shirt" I dressed on my rabbit. It looks like this:
A_Sockenbody_19Feb07_1WEB.jpg

I thought I made a plan for such "rabbit-t-shirts" but I don't find it at the moment. I'll get on to look for. ;)

Greetings Kristina

Hi Kristina
Not sure if things are a bit different in Germany but in england Spaying a female rabbit is when they remove the uterus etc, neutering/castrating is what they do to male rabbits :wink:

I havent had to deal with spaying a bonded bunny so not sure what to suggest with that.. i guess she would need a few days on her own, but maybe so she can still smell and see her mate whilst she recovers and feels better again.
As Kristina says you may have to syringe feed your bunny so might be worth asking the vet for some powder food and a syringe to do this if you need to. I had to do it with one of mine but had no powder food so i just mushed up pellets with warm water and syringed that instead.
Blankets/towels instead of hay to lay on, maybe you can put hay in toilet roll tubes or in a hayrack.
I personally wouldnt put a 'sock t-shirt' on my rabbit post-spay unless they would not leave their wound alone. Most vets over here will do intradermal stitches so there is nothing to nibble on.. maybe you can ask your vet if they will do these.
I do hope it all goes well and they re-bond easily.. hopefully someone who has had the same issue will post how they dealt with it

Hey,

I'm not sure too - ;) - I asked my vet and she told me this difference independ from the sex of the rabbit.
The german version of Wikipedia (klick here) told me, that in the vetenary medicine "castration" is also used for female animals. In human medicine the terms are distinguished.

I took a "sock-t-shirt" on Alwine because she have had opened the suture over night. It has to be clicked by the vet on the next morning.
Certainly you have to control the wound periodically even if you put on the shirt or not.

Greetings Kristina

yep as said above during a spay they remove the womb, males are castrated. Every rabbit i've had has had internal stiches/ glue so no need to dress the wound. I would discuss method first as i wouldn't be happy for a vet to suture in the traditional way, heard of far too many bunnies nibbling their stitches!

Back