• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergancy, Dougal at the vet - Update Dougal is home

nicole

Mama Doe
Oh my god, went out half an hour ago, to check the buns, gave Dougal and Mhairi some carrot pellets. Dougal ate half then did not want the rest. I put him down on the floor and I could hear his breathing was bubbly. There was watery stuff coming out his nose. The vet said it could be a respiratory problem. All I can remember is that they are going to put him in an oxygen tent, then give him some meds.

Can this type of problem come on so fast (in 7 hours)?

Edit - he has been normal all day, eating, pooing and peeing. Plus I have never noticed his breathing to be abnormal

Please please send vibes to my wee Dougal I am so worried right now.
I cant lose him, I just cant! Not with everything that has happened.

I'm sending lots of vibes for Dougal!

I'm not sure about it coming on so quick (I don't know about respiratory infections, sorry) but at least he is at the Vets and they'll be able to keep a really close eye on him.

*hugs*

XxX

Oh Nicole :cry: :cry:

Acute Respiratory tract infections can come on within hours. At least you got him straight to the Vet
I hope so very much that you will receive good news about Dougal this morning.
You just dont need this now, you really dont...... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sending BILLIONS of vibes for Dougal

Janex

Hello,

It's right - acute repiratory tract infects can come within hours.

I attended when I read that you have fed carrot pellets. I know a couple of rabbit owners who have to went to the vet because their rabbits breathed in such carrot pellets. May the rabbit breathed in such pellets or something else?

The respiratory problem and the watery stuff at the nose could also caused by teeth problems. Have the teeth been controlled? If the problems will not become better, please let your bun x-ray to see if the teeth causes the problems.

I hope your bun will be get well soon.
Greetings Kristina

Ottilie said:
The respiratory problem and the watery stuff at the nose could also caused by teeth problems. Have the teeth been controlled? If the problems will not become better, please let your bun x-ray to see if the teeth causes the problems.

Excellent advice :)

Janex

Well Dougal is better, no noisy lung sounds, but he is refusing to eat. Sorry about last night's rambling.

I should clarify that he went from being 100% OK to having a real hard time breathing in a matter of seconds. I totally believe he has had a carrot pellet stuck and he has coughed it up but it put him in respiratory distress.

Off to see him soon.

Thanks for the vibes.xx

Poor Dougal, hopefully he is over the worst of it now though.

Must have been so scary for you

Hope you are ok

Fiona x

Oh nicole,
I`m so sorry Dougal`s given you such a scare. :(
I hope he`s feeling better this morning, sending loads of vibes his way & big hugs to you...................................

Su.x

Back