• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice plug things

melaniejb

Mama Doe
I've just discovered a mouse and a few poos in my new flat and am stuck as to what to do! I don't want to tell the landlord as he doesn't know about the rabbits and I certainly dont want to use poison and am not keen on the traps. I've heard that those plug things that emit a sound (which humans cant hear) are very effective...does anyone know if it will drive the bunnies mad? We're thinking of getting one and putting it in the kitchen (we'll shut the door) and then keeping my rabbits in the bedroom (again, with the door shut)...will it drive them crazy?????? :? :? :? :?

They don't work :( We tried them last year. Have you thought about the humane traps (only humane if you remember to check them :wink: ). Apparently you have to release the mice over two miles away from your house though.

I can't have one, 'cos of the buns and I have Rats and Hamsters plus I can hear them :roll:

They are very nasty to the ear

Hmmmm. I've found one that is for just one room and does not penetrate solid surfaces ie a door or 2!! What will the rabbits do if they hear it? Do you think that it would be obvious if they can hear it and it is bothering them?

My bosses have house rabbits and use these things- the rabbits musnt be in the same room.

I dont think they've had much success with them though :?

i'm have been a veggie for 23 years and do not agree with any form of hurting or killing animals. HOWEVER I have seen the destruction mice can do a friend of mine who lives in the forest needed a electrician out because mice had eaten her wires last week.

REMBER THIS
There is never just one
They Breed & Breed
they are incredible destructive.
another neighbour probably has them ( an may well contact landlord)
from my experience i have never met anyone who has solved the problem with humane traps. it takes too long to catch just one.

I have also heard of alot of instances where traps have half killed mice and rats this is also very traumatic.

I always stick to poison good quality poison so it's quick and I get onto it straight away then you need to kill less.

My mother had them in her house in France an she said "I've tried to be buddist about it. But their eating my house from the inside out"

I would act now before the situation gets worse and you landlord finds

Do you know anyone who has ferrets?!
We have had mice and rats and recently I discovered the powere of very small amounts of ferret poo! It's strong smelling stuff but rodents will run a mile if they catch a whiff!!
Bit extreame, but I don't like killing them either :(
Ebay do live mouse traps. You can then free them in old buildings :)

I'd definitely try the humane traps first. We got mice a couple of years back, they'd been stealing the parrots food! We put some in the traps and left them close to where we'd found the droppings. (best to put them along the skirting board as that's where they tend to run) We caught one within 24 hrs and the second 12 hours later.

If you do use these to catch them though, make sure you take them AT LEAST 2 miles -otherwise they can find they're way back!

Have to admit, I thought they were gorgeous! Left them a supply of food at the spot where we released them! :oops:

thehappypixi said:
Do you know anyone who has ferrets?!
We have had mice and rats and recently I discovered the powere of very small amounts of ferret poo! It's strong smelling stuff but rodents will run a mile if they catch a whiff!!
Bit extreame, but I don't like killing them either :(
Ebay do live mouse traps. You can then free them in old buildings :)

That's interesting! Our neighbours have had mice and they used one of those ultrasonic things and apparently it worked really well! I've bought one that is only for one room (we only have them in the kitchen - and that is the only place where there is food) so I'll try that and if I can see the bunnies getting distressed then we'll have to think up a plan B...does anyone know of anyone on here who has ferrets and might be prepared to send my some poo in a tupperware container???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had no luck with humane traps and use snap traps as they're usually instant, I've killed roughly 30 mice over winter in the house and shed and all but one died instantly. Poison I believed gives a long slow death and I'd be too afraid of the mice transporting it to somewhere your rabbits can get at it.

It is horrible, but they're not called vermin for nothing, they've destroyed just about everything in the shed with their pee, poo or chewing, I hate the little :censored:

Those plugs are designed to mess with the nervous system of the rodent. Although rabbits arent rodents, i still wouldnt risk it. My mam has them in her house and she has been 'spider free' for some time now. I would never consider using one around small animals as i think they can eventually lead to their death through not eating. Please dont do it.
:( Sorry you have mice, hopefully there will be an easier way of getting rid of them x

I acquired a mousey about a month ago which I think I brought back with me in my bale of hay. I already had a plug in pest repeller from helping a friend out with a job so decided to try it and it has worked a treat :D :D :D mine is completely safe for rabs and my two have shown no signs of distress and still go into the shed where it is plug in to no ill effect :D :D :D :D :D

Denny said:
I acquired a mousey about a month ago which I think I brought back with me in my bale of hay. I already had a plug in pest repeller from helping a friend out with a job so decided to try it and it has worked a treat :D :D :D mine is completely safe for rabs and my two have shown no signs of distress and still go into the shed where it is plug in to no ill effect :D :D :D :D :D

That's good! What make is yours?? Is it just a one room thingy?

Back