• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Downstairs run open 24/7?

Fayeloicia

Warren Scout
I've bought the huge HappyHutch which I'm hoping to move JOey and his Honeybunny friend into next weekend. But I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to leave the ramp down all the time so he has access to his run?

He will be on the patio so he won't be able to dig out, but I was just asking for everyone's opinions? I'd like to leave it down all of the time, but not sure if something could get to him during the night.

He'll have his 6 x 2 x 2 hutch to retire in at night anyway.

Only thing is, I'll have to cut the hole in the floor bigger as I put the floor on upside-down and now the trap door doesn't fit in the right way round! :oops:

Ozzy has Loppy's Loft from Pets at Home and his ramp is down all the time. He spends most of his time in the run and loves it.

As long as it is secure I'm sure it'll be fine :D

XxX

all mine have access to their runs at all times, they often sit out in them even when the weathers terrible! :shock: :lol:

Hi,

We had the huge Happy Hutch combo for our previous bunnies and wondered about exactly the same thing.

We did shut them in the hutch and closed off the run at night, just for our own peace of mind in case a predator came in the garden. Even if a predator couldn't get to the buns, they might have been scared and would have felt safer in their hutch at night.

As you said, the hutch is large enough to shut bunnies into overnight without worrying if they had enough room.

But I'm sure they'd be ok if they had access to their run - just depends what you're most comfortable with and whether there is likely to be predators in your garden.

if it ain't safe enough for night, it ain't safe enough for the day :thumb: Holly and Basil have unlimeted acsess to their runs all day and night cos they are safe :)

:roll: :roll: :roll: Mine have free access to hutch and run all day, but for peace of mine I shut them in hutch over night. No worries then. :roll: :roll: :roll:

cavysrock said:
if it ain't safe enough for night, it ain't safe enough for the day :thumb: Holly and Basil have unlimeted acsess to their runs all day and night cos they are safe :)

Exactly!!

We did exactly the same thing with the floor. We took the two bars off the trap door and screwed them onto the other side, then the trap door fits again.
I close the trap door during the night. I can sleep better that way. :D

I have the same kind of hutch and run. I used to shut them up into the hutch at night but the main reason I stopped doing this was that when Barely was shut up in the hutch he used to get cross and start biting the wire of the doors - and simply throwing his weight around. I was worried he was getting stressed and would hurt himself so I left it open (the hatch to the run not the door). It is on the patio so it should be fairly secure.

I can see the rabbits from my bedroom window at home.

Yep Amy has access to her run all night too - as somebody said, it should be safe at all times not just during the day!!

hairdi said:
:roll: :roll: :roll: Mine have free access to hutch and run all day, but for peace of mine I shut them in hutch over night. No worries then. :roll: :roll: :roll:

What's with all the eye rolling?? :?

I have that hutch/run (on concrete) and let them have access to the run all the time. When they are shut up at night they really object!

My two outdoor bunnies have access all day and night to their run, I shut them in the shed only if there weather is very very cold.. They love being in the run at night more so than the day..

Mine have access to their runs all the time, unless the weather is very bad.

Like the others said if you dont think the run is safe enough for the night its not safe in day either. Although we dont have foxes over here and there is no way dogs could get into our garden. I have a happyhutch with the run and as long as things like cats cant get in and the bunnies cant get out Im happy to leave the ramp down :D

Can I just clarify - I totally agree that the hutch and run have to be 100% secure at all times - and ours were.

Personally, I just felt happier when my bunnies were shut - and locked - into their hutch at night. :)

Aww I dont think anyone thought your run isnt secure all the time hun :D

If my garden wasnt so secure I would probably feel the same :wink: I make sure my cat is in everynight because I do feel happier knowing where she is when I go to sleep (and she doesnt even go further than our garden :oops: )

sillyrabbit said:
Aww I dont think anyone thought your run isnt secure all the time hun :D

If my garden wasnt so secure I would probably feel the same :wink: I make sure my cat is in everynight because I do feel happier knowing where she is when I go to sleep (and she doesnt even go further than our garden :oops: )

Thank you! :) Maybe my original post was a little unclear. It's just a matter of personal choice, I think :)

Back