• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Humpy's having his eye out...

thehappypixi

Warren Scout
Humpy's had on going problems with his eye and has been on anitbiotics for ages, I have to clean it twice a day and it's revolting. Saw the vet again last week and we decided it was in his best interests to have the eye removed. I'm worried about how he'll cope under anesthetic. He's not a young bunny and the operation isn't exactly routine :/
Anyone else had their buns eye removed?

We've done it a couple of times and they seem to cope ok. I'm sure someone here has a bun with one eye or is blind in one eye, cant remember who though?!

Hi I had Pistachio'e eye removed earlier this year when she had an abscess behind it. It took a very long time to heal properly, and i spent the first 48hrs syringe feeding her. They gave her painkillers, anti-inflammatories and my vet was ace. At one point we took the stitches out because the eye wasn't sealing, so the stitches were just another site for infection. Once they were removed, we left it a couple of days then used intrasite gel to encourage tissue granulation. This eventually helped the eye to seal shut. Although I still think it is partially open now, and obviously will be keeping a very close eye on it at all times. She copes absolutely fine without her eye, in fact I think sometimes she doesn't even miss it, as she sits with her missing eye facing outwards and her remaining eye facing the wall, so can't see anything :lol: She is about 4 or 5 i think now, can't remember :oops: and coped really well with the GA. It is a big op, but thanks to lots of advice on here I knew all about making sure she ate and drank after the op and syringe fed her. I didn't know this a couple of years back and sadly lost a bun to stasis after he had been neutuered because he didn't eat. how much we learn in a short space of time.
I will try to find the original thread for you if you like? had lots of helpful advice about syringe feeding and looking after the wound. Good luck and keep us updated.
x Jess
ps, Tashi is now back outside and bonded back into the group, and happy as any bun!

Alice bun had her eye removed age 5 and she recovered well from it. The first few weeks are a trauma for both you and the bun as they go through the healing process but it's definately worth it. Alice had an abscess behind her eye and there was no way to save it, so they had to take it out. After the op, she had a drain coming out to get rid of any excess pus that might want to come out. We bathed the wound three times a day and made sure it was kept clean and not infected. Alice was syringe fed for around a week before she began to eat properly again and during this time she slept in a box next to our bed so I could syringe fed her through the night too. Once the drain was removed, I let her have supervised time in the garden and thats when she really began to recover. We were worried at first because she kept sticking her front leg out on her bad side and we thought the abscess had reached her brain. It turns out she was just a bit dizzy and she was soon hopping about as if she had two eyes. Alices actual eye socket healed really well and once the hair had grown around again it was as if she just had her eye closed!!

I really hope your Mr Humpy comes out the other side a lot happier. I'm sure he'll be in a lot less pain in the long run and will thank his Mum once he's feeling better! :D

Thanks guys!
No doubt I will be back to tell you how it went. Am off in 20 minutes or so. Will try and get freebe syringes and stuff from the vet :D
I'm going to have a horrible day worrying about him :?

thehappypixi said:
Thanks guys!
No doubt I will be back to tell you how it went. Am off in 20 minutes or so. Will try and get freebe syringes and stuff from the vet :D
I'm going to have a horrible day worrying about him :?

Sending lots of vibes for Humpy.

Janex

He looks like an extra from pet cemetary! Aparently the socket will fill with fluid and dribble out of the eye and his nose :shock:
Poor humps. He's had sme really strong painkillers and is really dopey. Not eaten anything yet, will have to think of something yummy to tempt him.
Are you guys interested to see a photo? I know it's ickky but you can if you like!

AW poor Humps. Recovery vibes on their way. A photo would be good, though I'll have to look at it through my fingers!!

Alice looked pretty horrendous when she came out of her op too, but they soon start to look better once the drain is out and the hair grows back. The vet had to warn me because she didn't want me to pass out! :oops:

Back