• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unwanted Bunny

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Remember I mentioned the lady whose house we are selling had a rabbit she didnt want? Well I saw her today as I went to see the house. She asked me if I was the lady that liked rabbits and I said yes. She showed me the bunny and she had a fairly good size hutch, clean, and was fairly protected. The bunny had free range of the courtyard garden and was sitting in a large planter the whole time I was there. She has four cats roaming around and the bunny was open to anything that could get to her.

The house owner had been given the bunny as another family didnt want her and now this lady doesnt really want her either.

She is not the most attractive of bunnies and is EXTREMELY overweight. I didnt want to go in heavy with her re feeding and caring for the bunny as she might complain to my manager that I was more interested in her rabbit than the house.

I might drop her a line and just say to keep it separate from the office that if she doesnt want the rabbit then I could take her if she gave me the hutch too. Not sure if she would want money for her though or the hutch which I cant really afford.

Not sure what to do now really.

Yes I might do that.

Any other ideas anyone how to deal with this - you seem to all have helped poor bunnies before and I dont really know how to go about it without offending the woman, which I cannot do.

Its a tough one really. Could you try to get into a casual conersation about what she is doing with the bunny when she moves? If she has told you she doesn't want the bun she might be open to suggestions.

I think I'd be casual and perhaps find a rescue who would be interested in taking her on - what area is the bun in? Then casually mention about rabbit rescue

RSPCA Walderslade is my nearest - they come on here a bit so I could pm them to see what the situation is there.

Thanks Kayjay.

Just pm'd RSPCA Medway. Will see what theysay.

Perhaps you could drop a note is saying if she wants any help rehoming the rabbit you are willing to help.

You could put the details of rescues and also say you would be willing to look after her at your house until you find her a home? That way I dont think she'd ask for money.

It depends if you really want another rabbit.... it could be a good opportunity to give a needy rabbit a home, put her on a diet and spay her and find her a partner. If that's what you want to do and the hutch is a good one I don't see anything wrong with giving her money for the hutch along with the rabbit.

Obviously if you don't really want another pair of rabbits then a rescue would be better

How are Twinkle and Mr Pickle doing now, are they happier together??

you could make it out like your not doing it because you feel she's looking after the bunny badly - but could be like sorry hope I dont offend you but I've totally fallen in love with your rabbit, and if u really don't want her then I wonder if I could maybe have her, could even say you had a lovely boy bunny needin a friend and she'd be perfect - that way she's not offended because she thinks she's doing the right thing and being nice, not having her bunny taken off her cuz she's not lookin after it right. I think by the sounds of things (nice big hutch, clean etc) she has been tryin but maybe is jst a little clueless - you know feeding it, but 2 much and the wrong things, letting it have space to roam, but not considering cats/predators, so appeal to the good side of her nature not criticise the bad, and you might get what you want?

kayjay said:
How are Twinkle and Mr Pickle doing now, are they happier together??

They are much better thanks kayjay. Although Pickle is definately the dominant one - snatching the food from her mounth and being in charge.

Back