• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits & Cats

lil_sar

Warren Scout
Hello

Was just wandering if rabbits and cats can be kept together. There is a possibility that we may get a rescue cat but I wanted to make sure that they would get along.
Would it be better to get a kitten that needed rehoming as then he/she can grow up with bunny, rather than getting an older cat who may not like other animals.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :D

i suppose it all depends on the cat :? my cats are fine with my rabbits infact i think the cats were more scared of the rabbits then they were of the cats when they first saw each other :lol: but my cats are indoor cats so they didnt really know what a rabbit was lol

Hello
I think it depends on the individual animals' temeraments- my cat Worm gets on very well with Audrey the rabbit (check out my signature!) and Audrey also didnt mind my foster cat Jasper- and he ignored her.

However, I dont think it is a good idea to get a kitten- they are too boisterous and could easily hurt a rabbit during play.

I dont think theres any reason why an adult rescue cat wont get on with you rabbit (Worm was from the RSPCA and was about 2 when she met the rabbits) - as long as you make the cat understand that the rabbit is not a plaything- I had to tell Worm off a few times when i first had rabbits but now she is fine...and make sure you supervise them together.

if you explain the situation to the rescue Im sure they will find the perfect cat for you and your rabbit!

Good luck!

mandy said:
Hello
I think it depends on the individual animals' temeraments- my cat Worm gets on very well with Audrey the rabbit (check out my signature!) and Audrey also didnt mind my foster cat Jasper- and he ignored her.

However, I dont think it is a good idea to get a kitten- they are too boisterous and could easily hurt a rabbit during play.

I dont think theres any reason why an adult rescue cat wont get on with you rabbit (Worm was from the RSPCA and was about 2 when she met the rabbits) - as long as you make the cat understand that the rabbit is not a plaything- I had to tell Worm off a few times when i first had rabbits but now she is fine...and make sure you supervise them together.

if you explain the situation to the rescue Im sure they will find the perfect cat for you and your rabbit!

Good luck!

I agree with you Mandy, my two cats dont mind my rabbits. Infact after a while it's a case of "who cares" :D

I have three cats and one foster - all came to me as adults and I have had no problems with the bunnies. Obviously they are never left unsupervised but my little Persian recommends bunnies as being great cushions :D

DarcyandBigwig.jpg
[/img]

I just got my first bunny Brian on Saturday. I let my persian kitten in with him immediately as he came from a friend and I knew he was a sociable confident bunny. All my persian kitten did was tap his bum and he'd move! We let our older persian in yesterday and he went and layed in his hay until the rabbit frightened him out! and one of our other persians went in yesterday and as she's so little, Brian kept on chasing her round, I think he may have thought we had a girlfriend for him.

Of course, the important thing as others have said is SUPERVISED, never let them be alone together 'cause as much as your cutie cat may look soft, natural instincts can come into play.

ON the Other side of this. I have two cats. Both KILL ALL RABBITS for fun.
I showed Puddy my new bunny from a distance and he well begged me to just let him have this bunny.
I had a farm and the cats were insid/outsid during the day and hunted rabbits. They would catch them pull out their fur and bring them to me sometimes alive mostly dead.
Didn't eat them-mostly,my cats are fatties to say the least they just did what instinct told em to do.
If I ever had cats and rabbits together I would have to hae a very young kitty and a somewhat older rabbit. This way big bunny brother can show new baby kitty how it's supposed to go.
I would only hope it worked out this way. Sometimes you see it where the two get along for some strange reason but I for one know what does happen in 99 persent of the cases.

My cat is in love with the rabbits, grooms them and 2 of them lick her head right back.
One thing to watch out for tho, is that your rabbits do not use the cat litter box, and the cat does not use theirs, because bunnies can get toxoplasma (sp) from cats which can be fatal.

I have two cats and two rabbits. They are NEVER put together. Dont trust cats at all as their instinct is to play which will end in death of the rabbit. :cry:

I wouldnt trust my cat alone with our rabbit and he's as big as her, but it just doesnt feel right when she's around him :shock: so I dont ever leave them together.

We had 3 adult cats when we got kibbles our dwarf lop doe house bun from apet shop..dont i know but it was our first bun..hangs head in shame..
our female cat and neuter tom were curious but terrified their tails fluffed out and they ran..but my cat who we got the bunny for as advised by the vets..went right up to kibbles and introduced herself and they were the best of friends from then on..and she did indeed make my nervy little kitty braver..fell in lovewith our neuter tom and was the nemesis of tabitha..she would stalk kibbles when kibbles was in tyhe throes of dental probs etc esp when she was being starved for being sick for 24 hrs..but she nver did anything about it cos we seeprated them then. Those cats ran around with her..she used to join in the 2 am beats of the serengiti game around the house with the thre cats..when niggy was dying she was under my bed whimpering and thumping her foot right up to the point when he went under my bed dying. she never eally recovered from that as she lived for him..she took care of him as he detreriorated with heart disease. she was dead 6 weeks later.
Then when we moved we acquired a long eared bunny wozle and tabby didnt get on with him neither did bumble but eventually bumble got on with him and tabby tolerated him..and they missed him too when he died..bumble became depressed and when we bought oscar home her tail went up and she was so happy she kissed him!
now all of them are gone..we had bif and we got bertie for her then i had the lady from the cpl come out for a home visit.she said no kittens..bertie would crush them..and she thought an old cat would be best..i asked her what she knew of house buns..nothing..i asked her what she knew of house buns and cats..nothing..
so when i took on these two kitties and i eneded up keping them i was very scared.
yes we did have probs with the litter trays esp as bif insisted on playing mummy and makng sure they went wees with mummy..etc!
it wa shell but we got them to use their own trays.
I never had little kitties and rabits so it was a first! zuzu infatuated with bertie and anywhere he weed esp on capret shed go..and poo where he weed ...it was hell! bif had salem as her baby tillhe got tooplayful.
they then started to play withthe buns and i got worried so out came the water pistol..they play with the buns as they do each other not as hunter and prey cos they think theyre bunnies!
They eta greens and carrots and broccoli with the bunnies and salem chews hay with them but doesnt eat it..i kid ye not! salem adores bertie hugging n kissing him and getting all purry and then goes to play withhis ears..not hard but it does annnoy bertie so he grunts and moves off with a mewing purring salem in tow! they curl up and go to sleep togehter even bif has been in the company of both kitties and slept on her back!
they keep the kitties in tow alright like parents! idont leave the house often as im carer for my daughter but these days the kitties n bunies are unsupervised..asbeties too big for the dog crate alone and the pen panels dont keep kitties who are cold and want ahug out!
useful thingis they all play with the same toys! :lol:
oh and salem head binkies for his breakfast etc and rsponds to bunny signals rather than cat ones.its so funny i dont know hat weve dome we have cabbits! but when the chase game gets too rambunctious we intervene much to the annoyance of bif who has just discovered she can teerorise cats! :lol:

I'm so pleased that a lot of you have had success stories with your bunnies and cats! I'm very tempted to get a rescue kitten as I feel that a younger cat may be more accepting than an older cat from a previous home- ofcourse it all depends on the rescue centre. If they have an older cat that gets on with other animals who knows.
I ofcourse, would not leave them unsupervised together. Watch this space, i know its the time of year a lot of kittens are taken into rescue centres so hopefully I can find one I can give a good home too....then ofcourse there are bunnies aswell, might just have to get Dillon a girlfriend while i'm at it. :lol:

I have five cats and two buns. The buns know which are our cats and let them into the garden, but if another comes in, Donut starts stamping his feet and our cats join him and see anyone off. Its soooo bizarre to watch. Whilst they all get on, apart from Archie the cat and Bailey our big bun who love each other dearly, they tolerate each other.

Back