• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best clippers for claws?

lucyj

Mama Doe
Hiya myself and the other half r away to try to clip the boys claws ourselves, partly for the money aspect and partly because Honey absolutly hates the vets, he gets himself in a right state, panting and leaping around she has a real job with him. I think he may be better at home if we do it. I've watched the vet a couple of times and know jst to take a little bit off, also as there claws are white we should be able to see the vein anyway yes?

I was going to have a towel to wrap him in and jst do a paw at a time if he gets stressed, and have styptuc powder here jst incase, but any other advice? And also what are the best clippers to use and where do I get them? Any1 else do them themselves, or anyone against it?

I used to do my guinea pigs claws all the time. The rabbits I don't need to because they spend a lot of time outside, which wears them down.

I help my friend do her rabbit's claws. I think it is easier if there are two of you! I usually hold the rabbit with her back against my chest and we all sit on the floor. I also hold her back legs together gently becasue it makes it a bit easier. Just take off enough claw so it is about half a centimetere above the pink bit.

The best clippers are small cat/dog clippers. You can get them in most pet shops for a couple of pounds.

I think that as long as you feel comfortable doing it, go ahead.

I do mine myself.. much better than stressing them going to the vets.
I use guillotine type ones, think i got them from wilkinsons but a petshop would do them im sure. At the rabbit day cheryl did the other ladies helping had ones like scissors which looked alot better to use.
Ive wrapped mine in a towel before to help keep the calm.... once you get the hang of it it gets easier. I usually do their back feet whilst their sitting on my lap and lay the on their backs to do their front feet.
I find Nala's the worst as they are black nails and so i hate doing them but if they are white nails they are quite easy to see how far to cut. It just then depends how still your bunny will be.

I cut the claws of my rabbits by myself. They have black claws, hence it is not easy. But I've got some routine and do it quickly and easy.
I sit down on the floor, taking the rabbit on my lap.
In the beginning a friend helped me. He held the rabbit on the table while I cut the claws. It have been more stressful than the present way.

Back