• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam - Peoples Views Please

caferyn

Young Bun
We have had conflicting details on the use of Metacam for rabbits from the vets in our local area. I have been using Metacam on my bunnies for the past few years with no apparent side effects, on the recommendation of my vet. I am aware there is a risk of an upset stomach, so always try to administer with food.

However, another vets in the area are set against using Metacam for pain relief and gave a volunteer from the trust a lecture on how bad it is to use.

Could you let me have your views in the issue, so i can feed it back as we want to know that we are doing the right thing when it comes to our bunnies.

Thanks

HI there. This is very interesting. My vet usually recommends if it is used over a period of a few days that it is prescribed alongside anti-ulcer medication (Ranitidine- Zantac).

What did the vet who was against it recommend in its place then? A lot of pain relief (Vetergesic for example) has a sedative side effect which is not a good side effect and can really slow the gut down in my experience.

Fiona x

I wasn't a part of the original conversation, just asked to post the question by the small animal co-oridnator of the Trust i foster for.

She has rabbits on long term Metacam treatment, for athiritis and is obviously now concerned that she is doing something wrong.

I, as I said previously have treated my bunnies in the past with no side effects, one of them being my poor Leo who I nursed through abscesses for the past 6 months, but we'd rather do the correct thing, not just what we think is best.

Hi there caferyn

I've been using Metacam for arthritis and cystitis in one of my rabbits for a year now. She was originally on 3 drops per day, but we've had to up it to 6 drops because she wasn't getting enough pain relief.

I couldn't tell you if the Metacam has had adverse effects because she would be poorly anyway even without the Metacam.

I've heard that rabbits tolerate Metacam far better than some other species, which is ironic given that it's not even licensed for use in rabbits!!!

IMHO pain relief is ESSENTIAL for rabbits with chronic or terminal painful ailments. So what if metacam MIGHT reduce the lifespan slightly? There is no point extending life if the animal is suffering.

Try posting your query on Etherbun - the listserve owned by reknowned rabbit biologist Dana Krempels. I'm 100% sure that the members on there would agree with me.

Amy

I was led to believe that continually use of metacam could lead to problems with bone growth and also healing (we had to administer it to a bun with a broken leg) but IMO painrelief is essential in buns as their first response to pain is to stop eating which can cause severe problems.

TBH I would never think twice about administering it if i had a bun in pain.

One of my rabbits has had very bad reactions to Metacam (stasis for 12 hours following each dose before we realized what was causing it), but she does have chronic genetic GI issues that probably made it worse.

Generally, side affects in adult rabbits are rare as long as you ensure there is food in the stomach. But my vet has had enough problems with it that he avoids it when possible. When doing spays/neuters he prefers an injectible painkiller that lasts for about 24 hours instead of giving take-home meds. Although he will prescribe Metacam for rabbits with more difficult surgeries or health problems.

As I understand it, the bone problems are more of an issue with baby rabbits than adults.

I had Zeus on metacam long term - 10-12 drops a day (he was a big bunny). I couldn't say if it had side effects but he was much more ill without it and stopped eating.

Caz

naturestee said:
When doing spays/neuters he prefers an injectible painkiller that lasts for about 24 hours instead of giving take-home meds. Although he will prescribe Metacam for rabbits with more difficult surgeries or health problems.

As I understand it, the bone problems are more of an issue with baby rabbits than adults.

Our bun was only three months when she broke her leg which is why we were worried about it but there was no way I was leaving her in pain. That said we used the smallest dose as had she not felt any pain she would have used her leg and caused more damage.

I didnt know any vets gave take home meds following routine neutering? :shock:

I'd say after a dental or castration/spay then you would need metacam, other wise your bun could be in pain from the procedure and not eat therefor this could be the start of gastric satis. :D

Hello,

I've used Metacam in a lot of cases and made good experiances with this medicament. I got it by my vet when my bun have had bad problems with his digestion accompanied by great pain, after castrations or ops or when my buns have hurt theirselves.

But I know that there are a lot of buns who don't tolerate Metacam or Metacam don't take effect at them. I think everyone have to test it hisself or herself.

Greetings. Kristina

Thank you so much for your responses. I think the general concensous here is that we all use Metacam as it is an effective form of pain relief.

We are aware of the possible side effects, in some buns more than others. I personally haven't experienced such problems, but I am aware they exist. Thank you so much for the other sites they were very useful and I'm sure will be for future questions...which I'm sure there will be many!

Thanks again

Catherine and the bunnies!!!

Back