• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ethical question, opinions please! *Pics!*

thehappypixi

Warren Scout
As some of you know, I foster rabbits for a rescue.
I have suddenly reached my max capacity, 3 of which are possibly pregnant does. As you know, each doe could produce 6-8 - maybe more if I'm really unlucky - kittens.

There is the option of getting them spayed asap and in effect terminating the pregnacies. I have never done this and am not sure if I can.
Three pregnant does is not only a huge squeeze and strain on resources, finding homes for that many could keep me going till christmas, and I would be less able to help emergency cases.
Plus, how do I socialize them all?!

I don't know how far gone they are, one of which I don't even think she's pregnant, it's just that she's a bit fat and has been with a buck so not too worried about her.

Two more though, are coming in this week which most probably are.

Help!

I personally, if they are early stage pregnancy, have no problem with spaying. As you say there could be another 24 baby rabbits to rehome and what kind of life are they likely to have? Even rehomed rabbits can end up with poor quality lives at some stage in the future....not every bun is lucky enough to truly get a forever home :(

So my opinion is that if the vet feels they are well enough and the pregnancy is early stages, go for it :)

I know most people will probably disagree but I would try to do everything not to have to terminate but that is just my idealistic opinion, I am not in your shoes, I think only you can make that decision.

I personally don't believe in it. To terminate a pregnancy to me is the same as humanely culling animals with terminal illness, oldies, etc. that probably won't get a home. Yes, the pregnancy is adding to the already large population but it's not their fault they're going to be born. If you're so against animals sitting in rescues for so long then why not put down any animal without a home? How do you decide it's not fair for these babies to be born yet keep alive all the adult buns that might not get a forever home or a good home - including these 3 females :?

Until last year when I was involved in getting some Buns out of the most HORRENDOUS situation I would have said I could never have a probably pregnant Doe spayed. However, I was faced with 3 Does, all in poor condition and possibly pregnant. After discussion with our trusted Vet I knew that going through a pregnancy, birth and nursing a litter would be more of a risk to the injured Does than having an early TOP (spay) My main concern had to be for the Does who were already here. It was an awful time and went against all I had previously believed.

As things turned out the only Doe who was pregnant had to go 'else-where' before I could get her spayed :cry:
I dont know if the other two Does were pregnant when spayed. I asked my Vet not to tell me....

So, that is my rather long winded way of saying that if your Vet agrees I would get the Does spayed ASAP

Not a nice situation to be in.... :cry: :cry:

Janex

Thank you for not thinking I'm an evil cow just for contemplating it! I felt a bit unsure about posting but I respect everyones opinion and am glad i did:)
Ideally I would love not to destroy the foetuses but I try to make it a rule to only take what I could cater for comfortably incase they don't get homes!
I don't like desicions like this :(

I didnt think I could do it, but finding homes for the three does is hard enough, but 24 babies!

I have done it three times, in similar circumstances as Jane's. Would I do it again? Absolutley! Sounds awful, and yes it is euthanasia for the babies, but what is best for them in the long term and for the mum? you have no idea what dad was like, the mums health etc..so god knows what the babies will end up like. Its not ideal, but this isnt an ideal situation

You could say that for any rescue though..you don't know their lineage, whether they'll get cancer or heart failure in a year or so, whether they'll ever get rehomed. :?

I was horrified when i first heard this was possible, but since then, i've booked a few buns in for emergency spays. one was pregnant. But She's happy in a new home now with a husbun, & I haven't still got more babies to take up Rescue spaces, so I think it was the right decision.

Unless they feel like they are heavily pregnant I always get them spayed straight away. Running a rescue is difficult enough without having to contemplate dozens more babies to find homes for. If they are in the early stages of pregnancy they wont have even developed into babies. Often if a female arrives that has been kept with a male she has already had endless litters and considering the potential problems she could face with the birth I feel it is in their best interests to spay straight away. I realise many people still frown apon the idea but unless you have to deal with endless phone calls asking you to take rabbits in you wont realise quite how bad the problem is. It would be different if you were putting babies to sleep just after they are born but its hardly the same if you are stopping the early stages of pregnancy.
I have just been out this morning to pick up a male and female nethie that had been living together and they are already at the vets being neutered.

sgprescue said:
It would be different if you were putting babies to sleep just after they are born but its hardly the same if you are stopping the early stages of pregnancy.

Why's this? (not nitpicking, just genuinely interested)

i think you should get her speyed if it is in early stages of pregnancy then mum doesnt have to go through the birth which is fairer on her too she didnt ask to me pregnant :(

dont worry about the people that dont agree because you are putting the EXISTING bunnies first thinking of their space and you are being totally unselfish :love:

I can see it from both sides but personally i couldnt do it. I just couldnt do it, i would live with myself, but i completely understand why it is done, and dont judge anyone for doing it. wouldnt like to be in the same situation.

BirdieBun said:
dont worry about the people that dont agree because you are putting the EXISTING bunnies first thinking of their space and you are being totally unselfish :love:

The OP asked for opinions, obviously everyone's wil vary :?

Ben's mum said:
BirdieBun said:

yup course they will :D but i dont believe they should be made to feel bad because they are thinking of the bunny, not how bad THEY will feel if they do this :roll:

BirdieBun said:
Ben's mum said:
BirdieBun said:

yup course they will :D but i dont believe they should be made to feel bad because they are thinking of the bunny, not how bad THEY will feel if they do this :roll:

How about how your post makes those anti-spaying feel? You're basically saying that she's putting the bunnies first by spaying them, does that mean those who don't agree aren't?

Ben's mum said:
BirdieBun said:
Ben's mum said:
BirdieBun said:

How about how your post makes those anti-spaying feel? You're basically saying that she's putting the bunnies first by spaying them, does that mean those who don't agree aren't?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

My opinon
If in early stages go for the spaying :D it will be better in the long run, how does anyone know if the mums will actually take to the babies or become ill afterwards you just dont know, plus as you say space is tight, how long would it take to rehome 24 babies, when sometimes some rescues can take months to rehome one. Its an awful decision to have to make but you have to think of the welfare of the potentionally pregnant bunnies, the stress of nursing could be to much sometimes :(

Tough decision. I can see both sides, and can definitely understand where the rescues are coming from, as well as what a personal dilemma it is. :(

Thank you all for your input I wanted your personal opinions and you have all delivered wonderfully. I've decided I will spay them providing they are not about to drop!

Update-

The first lot of buns arrived, mum, dad and 7 week old doe kitten in one box :shock:
Needless to say I have separated them. Can anyone tell me how likely it she'll have concieved so close after giving birth? Will she still be feeding her? I've been doing this 1 year and never had pregnant or nursing does!
Wheteher she is carrying cargo or not, a second litter so soon would be a huge strain would it not? Think it's snip time for the whole family!

Back