• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did YOU train your bunnies to cometo you or in at night?

Wuzzy

Warren Scout
New bun here (two days now) and I am going to let the bunny out for the day hours after about a week to let it get comfortable with me/my voice but don't want to chase it (don't know if it's a he or she yet, soon) around. I want to do something so when I call it comes to me so I can put it in at night. I don't want to use a harness, it will have free access to food water all day and is real young yet.
What do you do to get them in at night? I hear treats, shake them in a can or something then they will come...? This bunny doesn't care for treats...yet and most likely for a while yet. What is a good way to create a want in it's mind to come when called?
Thanks in advance.

i feed my bunn in the morning and just before she goes to bed, so i rattle her food bowl and she comes running over- obviously only works if they are hungry though, so it may be best to save your buns evening meal until you want him/her in.

Mine come when I call their names in a high pitched voice and then give them food. They obviously respond to their names as they cannot see or smell the food initially, but they have gotten used to know they will have a treat if they come.

Sheepdog tactics (but without any running or barking :lol: ) Just walking behind them in the direction of the shed telling them to 'go home' usually works.
Probably not from now on though, now I've posted about it. :lol:

Mike

A combination of all above.

My tactic is too keep them hungry (don't mean starve tho!) - i.e. just hay, and grazing outside, and the very ocassional treat of an odd titbit of a leaf of cabbage etc during the day.

In the evening I have a dog 'clicker' as a signal (most petshops stock these). This usually gets their attention, in addition to the fact that there teatime treats are going to be waiting in the run for them. Very rarely they are a bit mischievous, so then we do the herding to coax them in. We never chase as this would stress them out.

Works for us!

:D I used to struggle with this also until i started feeding them later. Although this does not always work :roll: Another one i use is to start sweeping the shed and tidying up, curiosity gets the better of them and they want to come and help :lol:

My bunnies are indoors, but to get my first bunny to go to "bed" at night, Id walk behind him clapping my hands gently and saying "bedtime". Once back in the cage, he would be fed his veggies for tea. Now, I just have to say bedtime, and he knows what it means. :D

Food :lol: Mine all respond to their names even if I dont have food on me but trying to get Scarlett in is a nightmare! Trip comes over when I call him but Scarlett just looks at me and then runs of to the smallest little corner she can fit into so I cant get her :roll: :lol:

Buu is very good and knows when I say 'kiss and goodnight' she goes back into her run and lays down for her nose rubs and bunny massage :D

i click my fingers (honestly) i read it in a book somewhere and thought i would give it a try you could have knocked me over with a feather when it worked.
it's about the only thing i've ever managed to teach dillion
i just click and say "here" or "bed" depending on where i want them

I taught three of the mxyi buns to return home when I whistled :D

Other two mxyi buns went in after the food :)

I started off by "herding" them in gently and now when I go out there and stand behind them they know and just go back home. :D

The "get yourself busy in the shed" trick also works - mine are sooooo nosy they just hae to come and have a look at what I am doing (not good though when you are trying to tidy up and they get in the way !! :lol: :lol:

They know the sound of food... entices them in no problem! Other than that I walk behind Daisy, and if she refuses to move I tap her gently on the bum :lol:.

I have found it very simple to train my bunnies to come when called. Again the secret is definately food!

I started by feeding them in the hutch at the same time every day - just as the sun sets because bunnies don't have watches you know! They soon latched on to the sound of a plastic cup filled with food being rattled, so the first time I let them out, they soon came running back to their food bowl.

I then used the same plastic cup during the day and gave them a reward of a small peice of banana or digestive biscuit every time they came when I called them and rattled the cup. Now they just come running when I call them!

Back