• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New to Forum and need advice please!

Helen66

New Kit
:) Hi,

My name is Helen. I have aquired two female baby rabbits today (Wednesday) and I have a slight problem. We have called them Floppsy and Bambi. I am worried about Floppsy as she has a lump of poo stuck to her. It is stuck to where she has wee's from and I don't know which is the best way to remove it. Do I do it myself or do I take her to my vet to have it done. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do with this. She can't be comfortable bless her.

I would really appreciate anyone's help on this.

Thanks.

From Helen.
x

If its dry then you can probably just pick it off! If its sticky and stuck in her fur then you could try using a baby wipe or other cleansing type wipe.
What kind of diet are they on and how old are they?

Hmmm, I'm afraid I don't really have that much experience of baby rabbits but i imagine it would be ok to get it off your self. Has it dried on? She should be ok with it there I would think, they are very good at grooming themselves. Sorry I know it's not much help.

EDIT: I knew some one else would have some good advice! :D

Hi, welcome to RU

With my longhaired guineapigs I use scissors to snip off stuck on poo or wee so you might need to do that if baby wipes or a gentle bum wash doesn't work.

Watch carefully for anymore, as it's not normal for rabbits to have messy bums and it could be the diet she's been fed causing it. As well as being uncomfy for them, in summer it could attract flies causing flystrike so you need to try and sort it out before then.

Hope that helps :)

It should be easy to remove with scissors if its on the fur or a damp cloth. It might be worth registering them at the vets and taking them for a general health check. I would get the vet to check the sex of them as well if they are living together as mistakes are often made (especially if they came from a pet shop) and you don't want to end up with babies!

Back