• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

digestive ulceration-advce please

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi
my friends rabbit is in the vets at the mo and the vet has told her that she has an ulceration of the digestive system. Any ideas on this? it's not something i've heard of. the bunny got ill about a week ago and had very bad diaroeah which was cured then she started getting blood in her poo a few days later. she has been in the vet 5 days now and has been getting antibiotics. the rabbit is bright and eating although not as much as normal. The blood has lessened and the vet hopes it will get better,
any advice would be very grateful.

Poor Bun :(
GI ulceration can occur rapidly if a Bun is anorexic for just a short time. It can also occur if the Bun is on longterm Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory meds like Metacam. Sometimes poor diet or stress can cause GI ulceration too. It is a common finding in any chronic or recurring GI disorders.
GI Ulceration is usually treated with either Cimetidine (Tagamet) or Ranitidine (Zantac). These drugs reduce the acidity of the GI tract and this allows the intestines to heal.

Janex

thanks jane, i shall pass that onto my friend. The bunny hasn't been on any other meds and as far as i'm aware has been eating o.k so it does sound odd. Is the bleeding in the poo a common sign, do you know?

Someone I know on another forum rescued a bunny with bloody poop, among other problems. I'm not sure how they treated it though. Poor guy has so many health problems I can't keep them all straight. :cry:

I have been told that Vitamin E can help soothe and heal an irritated digestive tract. That might be worth a go, just talk to the vet about proper dosage. Vitamin E is fat soluble so you don't want to overdose.

Back