• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is it about bunnies...

buddabun

Warren Veteran
What is it about rabbits that you love so much? What made you choose rabbits over cats/dogs/budgies or whatever other pets you have (you may have those as well, I'm just curious).

Is it 'cos they're cute, need rescuing, characters?

For me, it was when my housemate got one and I realised that they weren't just dull creatures who sat in hutches all day long but actually have wonderful personalities... as well as their FLUFFY ICKLE EARS of course... :oops:

We can't have a dog or a cat, because we rent, so I wanted to get some Guinea Pigs. But the OH said get a rabbit so I did, and I didn't realise how rewarding they can be!!

Still might get some piggies tho once Joey has got his lady friend!

I had already had gerbils, guinea pigs, cats and dogs etc. But I wasn't ever allowed rabbits when i was young. Mum had some bad experiences with rabbits when she was younger!!

But when Bindi was born i had to have her. I worked at a kennels, and my managers bunny had babies, and Bindi was the only one to survive. I had to have her.

The day i met Maya i felt really sorry for him. He was a BIG mess. (He still is now!! :lol: ) I had to beg mum again, to bring him home.

I'm not allowed a dog and I couldnt take it that hamsters have v short lives any longer. I became a rabbit owner purely by chance after given rudys photo to advertise him as needing a home. Look at the face hes why i fell in love with bunnies :love:

I had rabbits many years ago when i was little but don't remembr much apart from playing with them and when we moved i was't allowed bigger animals apart from hamsters and gerbils. About 6 times last year either me, my brother, me neighbour and my dad saw Buttons out in the street once at 5 am :shock: Neighbour said he is left free ranch with no pen or proper shelter and only eats the grass no veg or pellets so in January my brother saw him on his way to school and that was the last straw we took him in, informed the original owner who owns Buttons mother and she said to keep him and well we never gave him back :oops: He was such a joy adn pleasure to watch going from a rabbit who had never had veggies or hay, to start of with devouring it in one minute to saving his veg now he knows hes going to get some each night. He binkies the lot after that a breeder asked me to take in AMber and her kits so agreed, and again have watched them grow from shy scared buns to binkying happy things i wouldn't be without. I don't think i'll evr be with out rabbits again as there just a joy to have :D :D

I dont prefer rabbits to other animals...i suppose I ended up with them because I had the space and time and wanted to give some rescue ones a home.

I have had rabbits for most of my life, but Dougal was one of the rabbits in the pet shop I work in.

He lost weight and was passing mucus poos (long story), so I took him to the vet, he got some meds, and I was to syringe feed him, that is difficult to do when Dougal was at the pet shop at night.

So I started to take him home with me at night (in a rucksack on my bike) and back to work the next day. This was so I could give him his meds and feed him. And he stayed forever.

Although I never planned on having more rabbits some how he found me. :love: :love: :love:

Well ive had most animals, used to always be cats then i asked mum for a dog so we got one, then i wanted hamsters, so after the hamsters died i didnt want anymore as they upset me dyin in such a short time, i then got a budgie, and another dog. I had always wanted a bunny but my mum said no as i wouldnt look after it and clean it out but now im a little bit older i got one :D and i wouldnt change him for the world hes great. I now had a bun, bird, 2 dogs, cat fish and on Sun me and my boyfriend went and bought a hamster :love: i know i shouldnt have as ill be upset when she dies but shes lovely...apart from she took a chunk out my finger (never seen so much blood) :lol: but its all good..... LOVE ALL ANIMALS!!! xxx

I wanted rabbits since I was 4, don't know why. :?

I've never been able to stand dogs I hate them so much. I used to not like cats either.

I got Berri (RIP :( ) when I was 13, and was hooked, knew I would like them, didn't know I would like them that much! (I'm 15 now)

I also got my first cat last year, i didn't want to, but my mum got her for herself, and now I love them too (not quite as much though)

Now this will probably shock some of you........

I had dogs from the age of 9. First Paddy the Westie whom I lost when he was 17. Gemma the Border Collie-X joined us when Patrick was 13 and Gemma was with me for 16.5 years. During the last 18months of her life she developed a sort of canine alzheimers, it was heartbreaking :cry: :cry:
In 1998 I knew Gemma was not going to be able to go on for much longer :cry: I also knew I could not be without a Pet to care for but I could not face getting another dog as the pain of losing them was more than I could bare :cry: :cry: So on IMPULSE I bought a Rabbit FROM P@H (then called Petsmart) thinking ......'I WONT BECOME EMOTIONALLY ATTATCHED TO A RABBIT'...................................

I could not have been more IRRESPONSIBLE or more WRONG.

Now Rabbits are my whole life :D :D I love everyone of them more than anything or ANYBOBY in the world :D

Janex

I had rabbits when I was younger and have wanted them (Well one as I didn't know they should be kept together) on and off for the last few years but my family have had quite a crazy dog for a few years and a few other reasons meant it wasn't practical at all. I moved into a flat with my boyfriend and was itching for a furry little friend to hop around after me but we weren't alowed pets. THEN a woman at work got a rabbit a fatally introduced me to Rabbit Rehome and Wooky who was with Jill at Honey Bunnies. I got permissions from the landlord. Turned out Wooky wasn't really suitable as a house bunny and Jill suggested Barney (Cadiz at the time) and I completely fell in love with his floppy little ears then Roxy came along and, well if it was upto me I'd have atleast five others by now!

Sorry that was a very long winded way of saying that I have always had an underlying yerning for them because they are so suite and clever and funny.

My first rabbit found me! :D I was offered a rabbit that used to be a pet at a school but was too 'aggressive'. I originally said no, but then came home and started googling for information on rabbits. One of the sites I found was this one :D

The next day I told them I'd changed my mind and brought the rabbit (Vincent!) home. If I am completely honest when he first stumbled out of the carrier my heart sank. This was NOT the fluffy cute ickle bunny I'd had in mind but a stinking, matted mess :( He went straight to the vets and then I spent the whole next day slowly unmatting his fur. Of all four rabbits I've had now, he was the friendliest with humans - he licked my hands, my feet... poor mite was desperate for some companionship. He's on the left hand side in my sig :D

After meeting that very special boy, I knew I couldn't be without a rabbit again :love:

Blimey, I'm welling up now :oops: He was a lovely bun tho. My only regret is that I didn't know more about rabbits then and I might have been able to help him through his health problems better than I did :( x

Moonshine was an impulse buy from a petshop. Then we hit the internet to find more information about them. We then went on to buy Flopsy and Smudge from petshops, before realising how many rabbits were in rescues. I'd developed a soft spot for rabbits at this point.

Then we were given Billy because he was 'aggressive'. Poor lad only needed neuturing, he's an angel now!

Then we adopted Grace (RIP) from BARC, initially to bond her with Billy, but it wasn't to be. But we'd fallen in love with Grace so we kept her as a single house bun.

Next, we were given Emily and Bailey (guinea pig) from the same person we got Billy from.

And last but certainly not least :D Dudley! We had to take Smudge out of the trio with Moonshine and Flopsy, so she needed a friend.

So we now have 2 bonded pairs and 2 singles who will be bonded soon.

I just love rabbits, their so clever.

Nicola

I took my rabbit off my sister's hands and don't regret it one bit. I am asthma allergic to cats and dogs but absolutely adore them and my wabbits have filled the "pet void"! I confes we bought my 2nd rabbit from pets at home as a whim hoping he'd bond with my adopted rabbit, but that hasn't happened.

I love watching them run around my living room investigating every single nook and cranny, watching their noses wriggle while they rest, the way Wesley begs for bits of cabbage and how he jumps up onto my lap, which is suprising as I didn't think he'd turn into a cuddle bunny!

Well i am a cat person - always had a cat at home. So my ;parents never let me have rabbits or anything else a cat may eat or terrorise!

So when i moved in with my boyfriend i wanted a pet and we got a hamster. He was great and everyone said what a wonderful owner i was and he was the tamest hamster you've ever seen. I loved hugging him!

so when we moved to our little house with a garden he persuaded me to get rabbits as we could keep them outside and as we couldn't have a cat as we had no where for a flap or anyone to looka fter them at weekends away(we found that we had a rabbit holiday home just down the road). So i read up all about them and insisted i got rescues. We found them and got them home and that was it!

I have realised what wonderful characters they have and what a reward it is to own them. I love their fluff and their little tantrums! And most of all I love to smell them! I know you think i'm mad, but that clean smell (they are so clean, just like cats) but their own smell mixed in with the hay mmmmmm!

when i was 9 i had a rabbit called Thumper and back then i did think rabbits stayed in there cages all the time :shock: but every night Thumper always used to find away out of her cage (i still dont know how she managed it to this day lol) but sadly my mum didnt think i could look after a rabbit (i agree i was way to young) and i had to give her away :( but then i had hamsters and Guineas (i never had much luck with guineas :( hence why ive never had another one) but 2 years ago i saw my Crystal for the first time and i knew i had to have her and i talked my mum into letting me have her and my mum decided Crystal needed a friend so chose to get Smudge aswell (we were told Smudge was a girl at teh time which is how we ended up with 5 baby buns :oops:) and afer i got Crystal and Smudge i became facinated in rabbits and started reading up on them lol and ive never regretted or gotten bored of any of my buns to this day.... :D id much prefere a bun to a cat or dog anyday :D

Ditto to Janes story!
I had cats gerbils, gpigs, hamsters, fish, dogs all that malarchy.....
we had them all at once as well :lol:
after the cat died, there was jsut the dog.... and he wass my bestest friend! - He was pts 2 yrs ago in may - cos he was really old and just had enough....
it was the most painful experience... I knew I wanted another pet - but I didnt want one I would get attached to :roll: :lol: and I had never had a rabbit....
So Snowflake was my 21st birthday present, and then a year later a long came a man for her - because I learnt a lot on this forum...
Now I have the 2 - and I am going to be worse when I lose them, then when I lost Crom... So much for not getting attached.

We had a bunny when I was younger but he was more my sisters and I wasnt very interested in animals then.

Buu came from a garden center :oops: My sister had been going on and on about how she wanted another rabbit more than anything else in the world :roll: So me and my mum saw Buu in the garden center and got her. I think I kind of really wanted her for myself though because my mum said no at first so I took her for lunch and got her drunk, then drove her back to the garden center and she went 'awwwwwwww we have to have her' :D My sister moved out about 2 weeks later and didnt mention Buu. I was so glad she didnt take her because I had fallen in love with the little princess :love: I think I already knew I would end up keeping her

When I found out Trip needed a home, I took my mum out for lunch and got her drunk then took her to see Trip :lol:

When my sister told me about Scarlett me and my mum went for lunch again and I got her drunk :oops: :lol: Then I went and collected Scarlett.

When I said I wanted to get Buu a boyfriend she said 'you dont need to get me drunk to say yes this time!' :D

She cant resist a gorgeous bunny when she has had a few glasses of wine :lol:

aww so many wonderful stories... and so many loved bunnies!

Thanks for sharing guys - it's nice to know there are so many people out there who see bunnies as animals just as deserving as dogs or cats and not little teddy bears who can be shoved away in hutches in the cold and rain.

I LOVE MY BUNNIES!!!!!! :love:

Back