• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do rescues look for?

skewbald

Young Bun
I hope I have this in the right section?

I don't actually have a rabbit (or two!) yet so am trying to find out as much info as possible before going ahead. Just looking today I've seen loads of rabbits very cheaply or free to good homes in the classifieds but I've also been looking on some of the rabbit rescue centres. I can't look too much otherwise I fall in love with their faces!!!! :lol:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of things a rescue centre would look for if I was thinking of rehoming a rabbit?

Basically we're a young family with 2 parents, 2 children and 2 cats! The rabbit(s) wouldn't be able to be house rabbits but I'm hoping to custom build an outside hutch/enclosure for him/her/them so that they have the maximum space to move around that I can give. I'm a stay at home mum so I'm around alot and would want them to really become part of the family and be handled alot.

My 2 children are very young. Would this put off rescue centres? Also, would the cats be a problem?

Also, are you expected to pay a donation or fee? Is there normally a contract to sign? And (finally!) would I have to have an annual check?

I expect different rescue places have different criteria but I just mean generally.

Thankyou!

Your best bet would be to contact a rescue or two and ask for their criteria. Most rescues have a minimum hutch/run requirement and they want to check how you will care for the rabbits. So before spending any money check with your rescue/RSPCA.

Also, you can sometimes adopt outside your area, so if you see a pair of rabbits you love don't be afraid to ask - Jill from Honeybunnies on here does homechecks and adoptions all over the place.

When I adopted MJ I signed a contract to say if I could no longer have him I'd return him to the rescue and I paid an adoption fee which helps towards the cost of neutering and vaccinating.

Good luck, and enjoy finding your rabbits :D

:wave:

Welcome to the forum!

You'd be best contacting a couple of rescues near to you and finding out what they require :D

I don't know about what they'd look for but the fact that you're going to give them lots of space and attention seems fab! As long as you make sure the kitties stay away and don't frighten them!

best of luck and go for rescues!!! I went to a pet shop and regret it although I'd never be without my babies.

Wow!! Thanks for the superquick replies. Also thanks for the advice. Yes I suppose it does make more sense to just contact them directly. I'm just having difficulty actually finding any rescue places in my area. Apart from the rspca.

It doesn't hurt to enquire though.

Thanks again! :D

Hiya! Great that you're doing your homework before taking the plunge!

Generally I'd say that rescues look for big enough accommodation (the RWA and RSPCA now both recommend a minimum 6*2*2 hutch with additional exercise area, for a pair of average sized rabbits. Some rescues are happy with a secure garden for exercise time, others will not accept this as foxes etc. come out during the day now, and will only accept a secure run. It's often easiest to have a hutch with run attached so the rabbits feel safe in their own territory, although some people prefer to have them separate so they can move the run around more easily.

They will check that the accommodation is foxproof - e.g. that weld mesh not chicken wire is used, and that good catches with locks are used so a fox can't scrabble and open the doors. I guess if it's foxproof then your cats also won't really worry them!

Most rescues will not rehome a single rabbit to live on its own outdoors, so they will most likely only let you take a pair.

They will also want to check that these animals will be your responsibility and not left to your children to attend to. Contrary to popular belief, rabbits make terrible children's pets so they will want to be sure that these are not just a novelty for your children which will wear off.

They will probably also have a chat about diet and health issues, just to make sure you are aware of what you are taking on.

And yes, rescues will require a donation. This is often in the region of £40 or so for a neutered and vaccinated rabbit. Rabbits cost the rescue far more than this - where I am, a male neuter costs £45 and the vaccination course is another £30 so you can see that although it sounds a lot for a rescue to ask, it's actually a bargain - far cheaper than if you were to get a rabbit from the freeads and then get it neutered and vaccinated yourself!

Plus of course the additional bonuses from a rescue of getting rabbits that are already bonded together, and the rescue will know their personalities and will be able to match suitable rabbits to your household. It's amazing how individual they all are - some will cope well with children and cats, others would hate it, so homechecking is also a useful way of identifying which rabbits may be best suited to you.

:wave: Hello there,
I am in the process of adopting two bunnys from a rescue in my local area, and most of the info you need you will find on here! I have been looking on here for only a few weeks now, but the things i have learned and read about bunny care on here are amazing, i have learned so much that i did not know (even though i have kept bunnies b4.)

To keep it brief, firstly if you havent already, look on Rabbit rehome, (link at top of page) there you will find loads of bunnies looking for new homes!

When i saw some i liked i contacted them, went to have a looksey, and was told what would be expected of me as a potential bunny mummy.

I would imagine that rescues have pretty similar criteria,
lots only adopt bunnies in pairs,
they like the bunnies to have as much space to live and excercise in, but also to be SAFE!
Dont think kids or cats make a difference, only in certain circumstances.
I have one young daughter and also 2 cats :D , and i wasnt refused, and certainly a lot of people on the forum have cats and buns together.
You will have to sign an adoption paper, i think that it means that the rescue can come and take the bun or buns back if any situation occurs that puts the bunnys health and wellbeing at risk (neglect etc),
The adoption fee will vary, but usually the bun or buns will be spayed/neutered b4 being rehomed!
Not sure about the annual check, but if their is with my rescue centre it wouldnt bother me at all, its probably a good thing!
Theres also loads of bunny home pics on here too (including mine :wink: )

Hope i havent rambled on too much and hope this helps!
:) :)

Thanks AlisonA. That's just the sort of information I'm after.

The rabbits aren't for my children, they'd be MINE ALL MINE!! lol. I have to admit, with how young my children are, they're very good with the cats (and other animals). We don't tolerate any squeezing, stepping on or fur pulling in this house!!!!

I would happily take a pair as I know that rabbits aren't meant to live alone so that would be fine. Also the cost, as you say, is minimal compared to what you would pay from a petshop or whatever.

Thanks ever so much, great advice.

honeybunny, I'm in Dorset.

I've had a couple of buns off the free ads - 1 girl I picked up gave birth overnight :shock: . if you get from a Rescue they are often spayed/neutered, bonded & sometimes vaccinated - & no shocks like I had :lol:

Angie65 said:
I've had a couple of buns off the free ads - 1 girl I picked up gave birth overnight :shock: . if you get from a Rescue they are often spayed/neutered, bonded & sometimes vaccinated - & no shocks like I had :lol:

Yes, out of the Blackburn bunnies Kayj had one had myxi and had to be pts and the other was thought to be pregnant but wasn't thankfully

I'd recommend rescues, especially for your first buns

Hi I live in Southampton and help out at Southampton Rabbit rescue, it is run by sue leigh and she always has buns looking for homes or waiting to come in for new homes. her number is 02380 404117 and I know she would love to hear from someone looking for a pair of buns! Welcome to the forum by the way! x Jess

Back