• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice

fifi0529

Alpha Buck
I have an absolutely morbid fear of mice, hate everything about them. anyway, was cleaning out the buns yesterday (the in the garage) and i heard some scuffly noises :shock: . went out to giv them their veggies last nite and saw a blur run from under hutch. ran screamin out garage and stood cowering against wall. anyways it comes running out from under the lawnmower into the run :shock: :shock: . am standing out in the garden screaming at a mouse to leave the buns alone. felt so helpless coz i no their droppings are harmful. my dads putting traps down.

is their a way to repel them?

fi x

They'll only hang around if there's something to keep them there. Make sure all food is kept in metal containers if you store it outside, hay in a container or put out of reach (as it'll make a nice warm place to nest if they can access it), any spilt food or bedding cleared up straight away, no holes in the hutch and if the mesh isn't that fine then you could cover it with finer mesh so the mice can't share a nice warm hutch with your buns. If there's nothing to make your garden desirable they'll soon move on to the next one

thanks, the food is in plastic containers and the hay is in boxes on top of the hutch. will need to invest in some fine mesh asap.

yuk, they disgusting

fi x

fifi0529 said:
I have an absolutely morbid fear of mice, hate everything about them. anyway, was cleaning out the buns yesterday (the in the garage) and i heard some scuffly noises :shock: . went out to giv them their veggies last nite and saw a blur run from under hutch. ran screamin out garage and stood cowering against wall. anyways it comes running out from under the lawnmower into the run :shock: :shock: . am standing out in the garden screaming at a mouse to leave the buns alone. felt so helpless coz i no their droppings are harmful. my dads putting traps down.

fi x
/

humane traps i hope.

then relese them in a woods nearby

Jemma&Theo said:
fifi0529 said:

fi x
/

humane traps i hope.

then relese them in a woods nearby

if thats what my dad buys, prob not tho.

My shed is infested with mice, I've used non humane traps as (sorry Jemma) I've given up with humane ones - I've never caught one in a humane trap. We've had them in the house too this year. I hate them now, I used to have pet mice but I think the thing with wild ones is that they run so quickly and you don't know where they are. I've sat and cried and cried over the dead bodies but I really haven't had any option.

I just can't get rid of them. All the food is in plastic containers but the rabbit's food goes down on the shed floor and they spill it... the mice also go in the guineapig hutches :evil:

We're getting rid of the shed and getting a hutch/run for the buns and a new small shed which we're going to line for the piggies.

I HATE MICE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Me too! i watched the witches and now am terrified of them. now go outside with eastic bands round my trousers :lol: strange irrational fear.
i am v worried bout what the bunnies could catch so the sooner we get rid of it (only seen the one, fingers crossed) the better.

i hate them too!

fi x

So far, my buns and pigs have been absolutely fine but it is a worry as when I'm cleaning them out there are loads of mice droppings :x

I remember my dad going into his rabbit shed years ago with bicycle clips on the bottom of his trousers as the mice used to run up his legs :shock: I still go down but I don't hang around too long and I hate cleaning them out, I'm always afraid of what I'll find..... I can't wait for the warmer weather when they move back to the fields and I get my hutch and new shed.

Remember mice like straw and hay as well to keep them warm, so if you have that for the rabbits that could be attracting the mice. Might not be as much the food. xx

Pringle said:
Remember mice like straw and hay as well to keep them warm, so if you have that for the rabbits that could be attracting the mice. Might not be as much the food. xx

Yes, I've seen a mouse scampering in the hay. I'm going to buy a wheelie bin for my hay now.

And they climb, to get in our house they've actually scaled the wall and entered into the eaves - I had the pest control lady out to see where they were coming in.

i remember one christmas day (this was bunnies we had yrs ago who are sadly at the bridge now but whose hutch was on 4ft stilts so mice weren't a problem then) me and my sis were out feeding the buns when a mouse suddenly ran up the wall and disappeared. we nearly died!!!!!!! :shock: turns out they were getting into the loft.

kayjay i feel so sorry for your dad, that must have been horrible!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

yeah mouse droppings in food, hay and straw carry some sort of disease that can harm rabbits. am so worried :(

fi x

I've stopped worrying as we've had the mice for a few months now and they're all ok, I'm assuming the mice aren't coming and going from the fields to the shed, rather they've made their home there for the winter :roll: so I'm hoping as the buns and guineas are all ok the mice are too

Back