• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Weather

Hannah24

New Kit
What is the general advise on having bunnies out in this weather when there is risk of snow and I am at work all day????

snow

I don't think the current snow problems are anything to worry about, where I am anyway the snow falls and melts almost instantly. Providing your hutch has plenty of bedding for them to snuggle up and stay warm you should be fine. Some keepers decide to put protective insulated covers over their hutches - at the very least they might cover over the exposed mesh with a wind barrier, either a plastic sheet or something similar.

I have always thought, unless in very extreme circumstances you should stick to what they are used to. If you bring them inside it will mean you'll then have to gradually re-introduce them back outdoors.

I have their hutches within a shed so they are well sheltered I was more worried about putting them in the run, it does have a shelter but I think it would be ineffective if it was particularily windy or there was a big hail storm? But then I feel bad if I leave them in the hutch where they cannot run around so much???

The run has been built with a shelter at one end where it has extra panels of timber over the top and sides, but nothing at the front. They also have a plastic igloo type bunny cover in there but neither of these I feel they could snuggle up in

Hmmmmmm to be honest I don't think I would be putting my buns out in that when there was potentially bad weather, you could always leave them in but let them out for an hour or 2 in the evening when you get home? Mine have a hutch/run combi so they have permanent access to hutch, and on cold wet days like 2day I leave their blanket & tarpauline over the hutch so it's cosy but they can go out in the run if they like

That doesn't really sound suitable for all weathers. They really need a proper hutch with a run.
Rabbits will be fine outside in cold weather AS LONG as they have suitable accomodation with lots of warm bedding.

Nunzeo doesn't go out at all when its raining or snowing, or if its too cold, he's aa bit wussy. He does have a hutch on his run, and part of the run has a blanket on the floor incase its too cold for his toes (maybe I'm the wussy one that worries too much) I think he's ok with not going out though, because he has a very large bedroom to play in all the time.

My two go out in most weather .. Its a shed with an enclsoure around it and it has a roof ,so if its raining or snowing they are still nice and dry.

Back