• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny life expectancy

janecarr

New Kit
Hi all,

I have been trying to find out life expectancy of rabbits.

So far info I have found is roughly 6/7 yrs and at the very most 12 yrs.

Does this sound about right ?

My Youngest Son's Mini lop Fluffy was 6 at Christmas obviously I'm hoping she has many more bunny years left in her :)

Having a home visit tomorrow. Hoping to get her bonded with a rescue bunny. She hasn't been in contact with any other bunnys - so fingers crossed.

Jane Carr :D

I think most live for 3 years ecause they are left in a hutch alone but if they are well cared for and no illnesses (cancer, dental, absess ) etc then they should live to about 10.

Depends on the breed, i think larger rabbits die younger. (think)

Thank you,

We are hoping Fluffy will bond ok with Archie from Briar Patch Rescue.

If not hopefully she will bond with one of their other rabbits.

Will let you know how things go.

Jane :D

Oh, I hope they get along. Archie is such a cute little boy.

I think an age of 6 to 8 years is quite normal for a bunny that is well looked after. My oldest is 11 now.

your bunny can be well looked after and still die young unfortunately :cry:

it is too hard to tell because you dont know how your bunnies are bred unless you go to a breeder (which I wouldnt do)

good luck with your search :D

Yes, I've lost two bunnies that were very well cared for (my husband always says they're better looked after than him!!). Sometimes it is just down to luck, but obviously really good care does play a part. Claire x

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies,

Home check went ok today. Just have to get my husband to make shelves for the dog crate. ( any suggestions as to how to do it would be very much appreciated)

Fluffy goes to see Archie early saturday morning... I will let you know how they get on :D

Hopefully alright.

Thanks again,

Jane Carr :D

Hi Jane. If you can't get the shelves done in time you could easily nip into a kiddie's toy shop and buy a small plastic table to put inside the crate. It gives the buns a platform to jump onto and to sit on, and is easily removed for cleaning.

janecarr said:
Home check went ok today. Just have to get my husband to make shelves for the dog crate. ( any suggestions as to how to do it would be very much appreciated)

Fluffy goes to see Archie early saturday morning... I will let you know how they get on :D

Hello! There are some instructions on how to make a dog crate shelf just here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6267

Archie is such a lovely little chap, he has so much personality. Fingers crossed Fluffy and Archie get along :D

Back