• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets who do dentals without GA - Nottingham area

willow123

Young Bun
Someone on of my previous threads said they though there was a vets in Nottingham who carry out dental work without a general anaesthetic. Willow did not fair so good in the last GA, so it is something I want to look into well in advance of his next dental, and see how they do it.

I am wondering if it is the one in Gamston, which has been recommended by some other people.

If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate the name of the vets.

Thanks very much,

Liz, Willow & Gertie

Its this one:
Gamston Vets4Pets Ltd
Gamston Veterinary Centre, Gamston District Centre, Gamston, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG2 6PS
Tel: 0115 981 6262

They are brilliant :thumb: I cant recommend them enough. All the vets are lovely, but I always ask for Rachel.

Bear in mind though that it will depend on the state of your buns teeth and how they cope with just having a whiff of gas whether they will be able to do it without a GA (for example one of my old bunns used to go mad when having his teeth done so they had to do it under GA.) My rabbit Audrey doesnt have a GA when she has hers done.

Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Will give them a ring, and arrange to see them about the possibility of getting Wills teeth done without a GA.

Thanks again!

Liz

Sorry for hijacking this thread...Mandy do you know if your vets do bladder flushing & other treatments for bladder sludge/crystals?

Mary has problems with her bladder and can't pee properly. Urine analysis has shown crystals in her urine. She also has chronic cystitis and sometimes pees blood. My vets want me to control it by changing her diet, but I think its WAY beyond that stage.

TIA

Amy

Hi Amy
I'm not sure I'm afraid, but its probably worth booking an appointment to discuss it with them. They are extremely good value and very rabbit knowledgable- particularily Rachel. They will tell you the truth and not try to rip you off.

poor Mary :( i hope they can help
Mx

Cheers Mandy. I think I might book my new freecycle bunny in there to be spayed, and quiz them about UTIs/crystals at the same time.

BTW How much does Gamston charge for a spay?

Amy

i think if I remember rightly, it cost £52 for Audrey....its £31 for a castration.

But the RSPCA will give you a voucher for £15 towards the op if you ring and ask about their neutering scheme- just call the nottingham branch and they will send a voucher - its open to anyone, not just people on benefits etc.

Sorry for hijacking this thread too - another question for Mandy ....

The RSPCA vouchers; how do you find out about them? When I rang and asked when I was getting my rescues done they said they'd never heard of it :?

And is it only for certain vets practices? Thanks hon.x

Yes they are really brilliantly priced Amy! And its only £9 for a consultation- was about £20 something at my other vets.

What vet do you use currently?

Chloe...unfortunately all the RSPCAs seem to operate the scheme slightly differently- some dont do it all, some only do it for cats and dogs, some only if you are on benefits etc. V. annoying!

Its not only for certain vets though- you can take them anywhere I believe - you hand the voucher into the receptionist at the vets and they claim the money back from the RSPCA.

I currently use Castle Vets on Castle Boulevard because its close to my workplace.

I've used them for about 4 years, and generally they're OK. Some of the time I feel as though I'm diagnosing my own rabbit, and I'm just going there to get POMs. :roll:

I'm definitely going to give Gamston a try.

i felt like that when Audrey was at the emergency vets- the locum vet just didnt seem that knowledgeable about bunns :?

When I was at Gamston last week for Audreys check up the vet noticed she had a white mark deep in her eye which I'd never seen before and the vet said she was concerned it could be a growth..so she put some stuff in her eye and it showed it was a scratch from an old injury.

Sorry going off on a tangent there but just wanted to give you an example of how brill they are :oops: :lol: She was also weighed, teeth and feet checked (she has had sore hocks before) and she had her myxi jab and the jab was all they charged me for- £14.50 which has gone up slightly, but still a very good price.

mandy said:
Yes they are really brilliantly priced Amy! And its only £9 for a consultation-

:shock: :shock: Wow that is cheap!!! Mine charge £18.50 and then £12.50 for any additionals. Thanks for the info Mandy, will look into it (RSPCA thing) further.

Must point out Gamston aren't keen on treating buns outside their area.

and yep they are great for buns teeth..but be aware as they give a whiff of gas..if your bunny is one of the few who is allergic to the gas you will still get a reaction...

the vet Vacs Clinic at Coventry do not use any gas :D ..

Gamston are good and as Mandy has said their prices are very reasonable and they don't add on any extras!

Echo Jill's recommendation of PVC in Coventry, although it would be a bit of a trek, Rebecca is very good with buns and is very competent at doing their teeth without gas or GA.

Back