• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing an outdoor bun indoors for one night

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
I have read about rabbit tempurtures being affected by bringing them indoors when there accustmened to outside. Today we had some really bad weather bad winds really blew the cover of Buttons hutch and after rain and hale stones the run and hutch is both soaked. The floor of his hutch and sides are wet (left the top of beingan idiot while i brought him inside for cleaning). The cover is wet on both sides aswell and when i put it on water dripped every wher inside wetting all his toys, litter tray, food the lot. It hasn't stopped rainng yet so we can't clean or dry it off. We have decided he can sleep in the bathroom tonight but how is this going to affect his tempurature if we put him straight back outside tommorow hoping we can get it dried off. I don't want him to get sick or anything. Damn weather making my day worse :(

I think it would be best to bring him indoors for tonight ..
Bathroom will be fine just dont have the heating on..

I had Dusty inside for 2 weeks in the end when she was ill. The biggest problem is getting them back outside again and allowing them to adapt during a sunny day (without a sudden drop at night). Given that the next few nights are due to be very cold (I think), I'm not sure it's a great idea just for one night. :? Others may disagree.

I had a similar problem last time it snowed. My male, Inky, broke his toe and had a GA at the vets, so I had to keep him in overnight.

I put him and Smokey in the hall because it is fairly cool and then I waited a few days until the weather warmed up a bit. They were fine. I would bring him in, and keep him in a cool room, but wait until the temperature at night gets a little higher before you put him back out.

I bring Joey into the conservatory at night in his run. That way it's still cold but it keeps the worst of the weather out. And I put his SnuggleSafe in with him as well.

Only thing is, he's started escaping!! So now I'm torn between having him in the conservatory and trying to find him in the morning and hoping he's not hurt himself, or putting him in his hutch all night so he can't escape but waking up to a dead bun :shock: He's a lionhead though, so he's quite fluffy, though I think I'm wearing more of his fluff that he is at the moment! :lol:

I have Buttons in the bath room which is cold but not freezing, just normal and the radiators never on so he won't get very ot. Just give him the carrier with straw in to sleep :)

Back