• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

frequency of myxi vaccinations

CrazyBun

Warren Scout
I took my buns for vaccination this weekend and had an interesting conversation with my vet. He said that the vaccination-makers have recently changed their advice. They now say that their vaccination only protects against myxi for 6 months, although (inconsistently) they still just recommend yearly vaccinations. My vet was suggesting then that I might consider 6 monthly vaccinations, even though my rabbits aren't particularly high risk. He said that he is seeing increasing numbers of vaccinated rabbits with myxi. I was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts on this?

I know that there have been several terrible cases on this forum recently where vaccinated rabbits got myxi. I understand if the people involved don't want to go over this horrible experience again, but I would be interested to know if their rabbits got myxi more than 6 months after their vaccination?

Floss got nodular myxi 3 months after her vaccination, but if she'd not been vaccinated she probably would not have survived. I have both my buns vaccinated every 6 months now.

I took all mine in when it was rabbit week and arranged to have all their myxi jabs done at the same time, but when the vet checked their cards she saw some had been done 9months ago and recommended I waited til the year was up to have them done again as she felt they would be safe for the 12months.

The manufacturer of Nobivac (the Myxi vaccine) say it gives protection for 6 months.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/intervet_uk_ltd/nobivac_myxo/-29530.html

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_UK_Ltd/Nobivac_Myxo/-29531.html

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_UK_Ltd/Nobivac_Myxo/-29532.html

If it is done YEARLY they recommend it to be given in the Springtime to give maximum protection during the high risk period.
Vector control is also important. So treating Buns and other pets for fleas

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/bayer_plc/advantage/-40836.html

and using mozzi netting over hutches and runs is a good idea :)

Janex

I read somewhere that the vaccine has a peak effective period, usually from about 2 months after the vaccine has been given, so springtime is reccommended as the best time to give it so they are covered for the summer. Its something to do with the time it takes the vaccine to reach optimal blood concentration levels because its not a live vaccine.

Nicola

My buns were vaccinated in April, and they got myxi in septmeber/october, so it was about 5 or 6 months after vaccination. I was told yearly was ok in this area, if I'd of known that the manufacturer only guaranteed the vaccine for 6months I'd of insisted on it being done then

I have mine done every 6 months March and then September (although Squiggle my new Adoptee is due in June) I live in a high risk area So i will carry on having the jabs done every 6 months, regardless of what some vets recomend theres only yearly (not mine)

Sugar and Amber got Myxi in end of August/September just before their jab was due :( unfortunatly they didnt get any better so i made the choice of PTS, purely because i couldnt stand seeing them in so much pain and suffering, i stand by me decision to this date i only wished they had got better.

As Jane said Netting over hutches is another good way of stopping them and regularly fleaing any dogs and cats you may have to stop them bringing any back with them from walks :D

5 of mine were vaccinated late November and caught myxi middle of December, unfortunately all five were lost :cry:

Personally I'd go with 6 monthly although if its going to happen it will :(

I get Evo done every six months, even though he's an indoor bun. There are loads of wild buns quite near, and you can never stop all mozzies and stuff getting in the house.

Thanks for all the replies, especially those who have lost rabbits to myxi. I think I am going to switch to getting them done half yearly. Having been told that once a year may not be enough, if I didn't get them done and they got myxi I would never forgive myself.

Back