• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating soft poos!!

nicole

Mama Doe
Why has Dougal all of a sudden stopped eating his soft poos? His fur is all stained and I have had to clean him up with baby wipes.

His diet has not changed (Well bought some oat hay for Mhairi and I think Dougal has been eating some) same veg I dont give pellets as this makes Dougal not eat so much hay.

Last night I found normal poos but stuck together with hair, been giving papaya tablets to sort this out.

His front teeth look ok, he is not in any pain.

Ok,ok maby it's the oat hay, but would this make him not want to eat his soft poos this morning?

Does a change in hay upset their gut?

Sorry for the ramblings. :oops:

nicole said:
A lot of posts about this problem and I answered the posts, so I'm off to take my own advice :lol:

I think Oat Hay is high in protein :? That may be whats caused the problem

Also, if Dougal has spurs on his BACK teeth that too can mean he wont keep himself clean. Spinal discomfort is another possibility. Hopefully just removing the Oat Hay will sort things out :)

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
nicole said:
A lot of posts about this problem and I answered the posts, so I'm off to take my own advice :lol:

I think Oat Hay is high in protein :? That may be whats caused the problem

Also, if Dougal has spurs on his BACK teeth that too can mean he wont keep himself clean. Spinal discomfort is another possibility. Hopefully just removing the Oat Hay will sort things out :)

Janex

Thanks Jane, I bought the oat hay for Mhairi as she will eat anything it's just Dougal thats fussy. I'll remove the oat hay and see what happens.

This morning no soft poops and no staining on his fur, so fingers crossed.

They dont half worry you :roll:

I totally agree re. the hay, as I've had certain types of hay cause problems too. Fingers crossed that's the cause.....

I think Timothy Hay has a lower protein level - I got this for Fozzie when she had problems with her soft poos last year. Can't remember which one is best, but the cuts have different nutrition levels too.

Back