• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions

mini-rabs

New Kit
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have regarding basic up keep of a Rabbit?

Should a rabbit be fed on rabbit food, pellets or both?

Should fruit and veg be given on a daily basis?

Should hay or straw be used as bedding?

My last Rabbit had a daily diet of broccoli, cabbage, apple and a small amount of carrot as well as dry food. I've always used hay but have been told recently that I should use straw.

Thanks in advance xx

hi
pellet food is usually preferred to prevent selective feeding, allen and page, or science selective, or excel. there are others too, the important thing being the fibre content of them, the more fibre the better.
with fruit and veg it varies from owner to owner and rabbit to rabbit, some have more some have less. someone will probably be able to refer you to a list of good bunny foods, more veggies than fruit, some wild plants are good too, and herbs go down well. my rabbit can eat loads of veggies without getting an upset tum, but my previous buns have been far less tolerant. as long as veg is introduced slowly it should be ok, with spring greens being a favourite on here (and mine rather likes basil).
bedding - again theres different preferences. if indoors (or out for that matter) vet bed or similar can be used as bedding. i currently (outdoor bun) use shavings covered in hay in the litter tray and paper in the bed area, with loads of hay on top. straw can be used too, but hay always has to be supplied as it should be most of the diet.

mini-rabs said:
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have regarding basic up keep of a Rabbit?

Should a rabbit be fed on rabbit food, pellets or both?

Should fruit and veg be given on a daily basis?

Should hay or straw be used as bedding?

My last Rabbit had a daily diet of broccoli, cabbage, apple and a small amount of carrot as well as dry food. I've always used hay but have been told recently that I should use straw.

Thanks in advance xx

My buns are fed on pellets(Science selective)
I do give the veg daily but I keep the fruit for maybe once or twice per week.
Hay is better for bedding as its softer, I usually used a little straw and mostly hay for my outdoor bunnies :D

hiya

most people tend to use pellets because they have a better nutritional value for the rabbit compared to a mix. plus with a mix a rabbit can pick out their favourite parts and there for not get all the goodness/ my rabbit has a handful of pellets each morning. if you decide to change the feed you should do this gradualy cas buns have sensitive tummys.mix some of the new food in with the old and start to decrease

i give my rabbit a small amount of fresh greens once a day and occasionally some fruit like a tiny bit of apple as a treat.

Your bun should always have unlimited amount of hay to eat, its a very important part of their diet. it helps keep their teeth nice and trim aswell
i tend to use straw for bedding but also stick in a handful of hay

Hello and thank you for the replies. After reading some threads I was getting a little worried that I might be missing some things from the rabbit's diet.

I've always used hay but was told as the animals lived outdoors straw would be a better option however I'm going to use both.

Thanks again.

Much appreciated.

Joanne xx

I use both too - straw for the main 'bedding' material and then I fill the litter trays and hay rack with hay for them to nibble on, dig in etc :D

Back