• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anal Glands

Had to have Mistys sorted out :oops: Are they suppose to smell that bad? I thought I was going to be overcome by the smell whilst going her for the vet.

In my experience they smell pretty musty, kind of pepperey but quite overpowering! I clean them out with a moist cotton bud if they build up with ickky yellow waxy stuff. Makes me want to retch a bit! Lol!

I dont know much about rabbits anal glands but I do know that dogs when blocked are very very smelly and sore.
It would be good to know the symptoms of blocked anal glands, so please share (yuck, but important) I'm sure there are loads of people like me that wouldn't really know what to look out for!!!!!!!

I give my rabbits glands a clean with wet cotton wool or babywipe every few months.. they do smell although not half as much as they do before they are neutered!! :shock:

nicole said:
Are you suppose to clean them on a regular basis?

Id like to know this aswell, mine have a health check up every month, but i have never cleaned any glands :oops: :shock:

how often should they be cleaned? and what do they look like - sorry for the odd question but i have no idea - (il have a look through my books)

They are a slit either side of their 'wee wee bits' :oops: If you pull the skin gently apart, the slit is horizontal to their tail and there is one both sides. It is skin but often there is some waxy lumpy stuff in there which i wipe out... i dont think they smell as bad now i clean them every few months :D

Heres a photo i just found on the net to show u where it is
http://members.aol.com/roniebunny/ng.html

this one is good too.. scroll down to nearly the bottom of the page and there are 4 photos
http://www.lecoeurrabbitrescue.co.uk/now_you_have_your_rabbit.htm

I got misty checked out as I didnt know if it should smell as bad as what it did, but they have said she maybe over producing in her scent glands because of the new bunny I have. I first noticed something was up when I cleaned out their shed and everything was new they came back in the shed from the run and the smell hit you.

i used to have to clean my two's out before they got neutered and it smelt like rotten popcorn - AWFUL smell. I had to go at them with moist cotton buds which probably wasnt hte best idea but they were very clogged.

best of luck with them, the stinky poos!

buddabun said:
i used to have to clean my two's out before they got neutered and it smelt like rotten popcorn - AWFUL smell. I had to go at them with moist cotton buds which probably wasnt hte best idea but they were very clogged.

After reading this thread i thought i would do a bit of investigating :oops: :lol:

I checked malteaser & sassi last night and at either side of their 'privates' there is a slit with some 'brown' stuff coming out - is that what i have to clean??? its quite hard to explain :oops:

missblondebunny said:
buddabun said:

After reading this thread i thought i would do a bit of investigating :oops: :lol:

I checked malteaser & sassi last night and at either side of their 'privates' there is a slit with some 'brown' stuff coming out - is that what i have to clean??? its quite hard to explain :oops:

Yep it's that, looks a bit like a sticky poo, but it's not.

Diddeen said:
I do it every few months.. saves them getting a stinky buildup! :shock: :lol:

Could not agree more... apart from the rancid smell, the secretions tend to harden into what looks like sunflower seeds then often stick to the Buns skin which can draw blood if not removed very carefully.

A Q tip, veg oil and peg on the nose (yours not the rabbits) helps!

Back