• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't quite believe this :o(

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
My Dad took me to the pet shop yesterday to get some rabbit food an hay, and my sister said 'Don't come out with another rabbit' just as a joke, she knows I wouldn't buy from pet shops... then Dad pipes up that his wife is getting another guinea pig so I asked if one had died, she has 2 males, to which he replied no, she's getting a girl so she can breed them :evil: :evil:

She can't even look after the 2 she has got and certainly does not have the knowledge to breed. She's breeding to make some money, I don't know if she's doing it purposly to hurt my feelings (as she knows h my feelings on breeding) or if she genuinely thinks its a good way to make a quick dollar...

I have no idea what to do as we're not exactly on speaking terms at the moment being as she's just announced she wants to divorce my Dad.

Frankly I think its a VERY bad decision, but what do I do for the best, I know these things go on but her kids are awful and I have a feeling they will try an handle the babies, and that they will leave the male in with the babies.

Any ideas?!

I really feel for you, as you've been put in a very difficult situation here. It's not as though you can go charging in, with the relationship you have with her. :(

Do you know someone else who is on better terms with her who might be able to pass on your concerns in a way that she might listen to?

It astounds me to think that anyone would think that breeding small animals makes money. :shock:

They live a good hour away from me and they've not been together that long so they only person I know that knows her is my Dad and her Mum!

My Dad won't pass on my concerns as he says its none of my business plus he's trying to stay in her good books at the moment!

I would point out that it's unlikely she will make money from it..and also that a group of piggies will be noisy..that might put her off!

From my experience of guinea pigs, if you bring a female within sniffing distance of two males, they may very well fall out, start fighting, and never be friends again.

That would be sad for both the males, as they would have to be separated .... and of course the female would have to live on her own whilst bringing up the little ones.

That's also three hutches - so more expense to set against the money made by breeding. Has she thought about all that?

Mighty Max
http://www.pettalk-online.com/
Do correct me someone if I have my facts wrong here
:?

oh no :( :x

Its really difficult :? ...I know you cant go off on a rant about it, but I think this article is really good and may give you some things to mention to her if you speak:

http://cavykind.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/left_top_frames_page.htm

Why You Shouldn't Breed From Your Guinea Pig

So you want to breed from your guinea pig?

Please stop and read this first!!

The sad and simple fact is that there are already too many guinea pigs being bred and too few caring, permanent, pet homes available. At the time I write this, I have guinea pigs waiting patiently at my home for that special person to come along. Many more sit forlornly in rescue centres up and down the country, indeed throughout the world. This isn't just a problem in the UK. Do you really want to be responsible for adding to the problem?

Ask yourself the following:

Are you willing to risk the life of your female guinea pig?

Most guinea pig pregnancies are uneventful. Pregnancy and birth are the most natural things in the world. However, things can and do go wrong. Sows can die before, during and after delivery. A baby may be stillborn, as indeed may the whole litter. Are you prepared do deal with this? How will you feel if your pet dies? Because if you planned the litter, you will only have yourself to blame. I would never risk a much loved pet in this way.

Have you put money aside to deal with emergency vet bills that may occur?

If your sow develops toxaemia and becomes ill, are you willing to take her to a vet at any time day or night? Do you have the funds to pay for an emergency cesarean section if needed? The cost for such surgery in my area is about £80 -£90. Add an emergency call out fee of £80 if your sow gets into difficulty overnight and you are looking at a vet bill of about £160 plus. Are you, or your parents willing or able to pay this?

If the sow dies, do you have the time and skill to hand rear her offspring?

Hand rearing any baby animal is very time-consuming and there is no guarantee the young will survive. Would you know what to do? Could you make this commitment? How would you feel if you lost the babies too?

Do you have responsible people waiting to offer a home to the babies when they arrive?

Your guinea pig may have up to six little ones, will you really be able to find caring, forever homes for all of them. People who will provide the care and attention these animals need for possibly the next seven years? I find it incredibly hard to find ONE such home, do you think you will find it any easier? Taking them to the local pet store, to a guinea pig show or selling them in the local "free ad paper" is not the way to place these little babies.

Will you take the babies back at any time, if the home doesn't work out?

You bred these babies, they are your responsibility. Will you take the time to follow up their progress and ensure that they are still loved and cared for throughout their lifetime? Or will you pass them on and hope for the best? Many owners lose interest when their pets reach around the age of six month to a year. Will you have the space to take these youngsters back, access them and find them new homes? Please be a responsible pet owner and do not add to the already massive number of unwanted animals languishing in rescue centres in the UK and throughout the world. Why not simply cherish your pets and allow them to live out their lives as pampered piggies! My anti-breeding sentiments are the result of over fourteen years active involvement with local animal welfare. The guinea pigs I have at the moment were all bred by someone. Where are those people now? These people neither know nor care that their guinea pigs young have ended up with a rescue group. If you already breed.....perhaps one is yours?

I suppose things that may put her off on a personal level are telling her just how many guinea pigs there are and that people may not necessarily want them and she may be stuck with loads of pigs! And even if she does manage to sell them they sell for so little in places like freeads- about £5 - that there is no profit to be had :?

Could you try explaining to her the amount of pigs there are in rescues along with all the health risks to the pig and the fact that it won't make any money? Could you send her some leaflets or print off some info from the net? She may reconsider when she knows all the facts. But then again some people are just :censored:

Back