• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How worried should I be? update eating - or maybe not!!

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can give me advice please.

Nibs has not been his usual self after his last injection of engemycin yesterday afternoon. He ate most of his dinner last night but since then he has just generally been sat in once place and I havent seen him drinking.

I also hadn't noticed any poo's apart from 2 tiny weeny ones.

I have syringe fed him some water with probiotics in. They have a pro biotic in their water as he is on antibiotics most of the time.
I have massaged his tummy and its sounded a bit gurgly. I am frantic that he has gone into stasis.

I fed him about half nine and he had some carrot tops some parsley and a bit of bannana (becuase I know he loves it). He wont take any pellets (I only give him these a treats, but he loves them) he never refuses these and goes mad for them, but he wont take any. He wont eat any carrot either and he has had no hay.

Since I gave him some probiotic and a tummy rub it think he has eaten some c poos as he bent over to his bottom and started munching, I would say he has done this about 3 times. He has done about three tiny but slightly larger poo's aswell.

My parents are out and are going to bring some infacol for me to give him. Do you think that is a good idea?

Does it sound like his guts are starting to move again? He still wont eat or drink at the mo.

I am so worried. Sorry for the long post. Do you think I should just go straight to an emergency vets? (although it wouldnt be my normal vet who has given the engemycin and auroycin he is on - as they are half an hour away an I dont want to stress him out with a long journey if he is already unwell)

Sorry again about the long post.

Mx

Hello :)

I think you need to contact the Vet for advice. If your Bun has been on antibiotics he is at risk of GI disturbance.
I dont kow why he is on antibiotics? Could he be in pain? Pain will stop a Bun eating.
I am sure the Vet will be able to offer telephone advice and ask you to come to the surgery if he/she thinks it to be necessary

Janex

Thanks Jane, he is on abs because he is a long term snuffler unfortunately. He has pretty much been on one kind or another antibiotic for a year now.

He still hasnt eaten or poo'd since I last posted.

I will ring my vets but as I usually only see the same person I dont know what they will say to be honest, I wish he would just do a blinking poo!!!!! and eat obviously!

Just got back from the emergency vet - who i wasnt that keen on - had to ask him to check his teeth/mouth - which he said looked ok (nibs had an abcess about a year ago which caused him to stop eating - pasturella related).

he gave him some gut stimulant. he also gave me some fibre plex to give him, which I just have, along with some infacol.

Hopefully this will sort him out, although he stil wont eat anything!! and no poo's yet either :(

his nibs & sox said:
Just got back from the emergency vet - who i wasnt that keen on - had to ask him to check his teeth/mouth - which he said looked ok (nibs had an abcess about a year ago which caused him to stop eating - pasturella related).

he gave him some gut stimulant. he also gave me some fibre plex to give him, which I just have, along with some infacol.

Hopefully this will sort him out, although he stil wont eat anything!! and no poo's yet either :(

You need to syringe some liquid feed into him. If you dont have any Critical Care or Science Recovery then make a liquid feed by pouring boiled wated over the pellet feed he has, mix it up well, allow it to cool. It will probably thicken up whilst cooling so add more cold water to make a liquid you can syringe.
Try to get about 20mls into him if possible.

Did the Vet give him any pain relief?

Where was the abscess he had? Could it have come back?

Janex

thanks jane, your advice is much appreciated, i'm really worried. Sorry for late reply was away feeding nibs.

I have some science recovery. just gave him a second feed (2 hour gap). he has done about 5 weeny poo's and eaten 2 miniscule bits of hay, but thats it. before i fed him again I tried to get him to eat something voluntarily but he wouldnt. I hate forcing him, it makes me feel like he will then just refuse all other food cos I am making him eat something, although he is spitting half of it out. also just gave him some more infacol.

I was giving him some belly rubs and he laid down next to me spread out - is that a good sign that he isnt in pain? he has just spead out in his litter tray aswell

vet didnt give any pain relief - to be honest i don think he was that bothered. only checked his mouth because i made him.

his abcess was on his upper left lip/celft and there was also another inside his mouth near his nose. I dont think it is back as i am totally paranoid about it and always put my fingers there to feel if they have come back (they were like hard balls) but i cant feel anything.

I have been putting a bit of apple and banana baby food with the recovery to try and get him to take it better - is that ok -- although i am not sure if i actually making any difference :roll:

shall i feed every 2 hours? and then give tummy rubs and infacol.

I do have some metacam but that was given to me for sox when she was spayed so i dont really want to give him any.

also the vet said i could leave it up to 48 hours before going back to them if there was no improvement wih him, i think thats a bit long personally - is he right?

I dont know if he is getting any bit better???

sorry this has turned into an essay again!!! :oops:

Hi there
We went through this with Squidgy after his neuter. It's a nightmare, isn't it.
In my (limited) experience, a bun laying flat out is in discomfort/ pain, form their tummy. Try to make sure he hops around a bit, as this can help with wind. Cooled boiled water can help, as can keeping him nice and snuggly and warm.
I think the gut stimulant can be given every 8 hours, so it may be worth getting him back to your vet first thing tomorrow if there's no improvement.
I was frantic with Squidgy, as food kept going in (he was eating some voluntarily, but nothing was coming out the other end :shock: It did all work out in the end though.
Sending lots of poo vibes

thanks for the support.

I know flaming wabbits. I just feel so anoxious. i just want him to eat and blinking poo!!!! its just so fustrating and i cant help but worry about what if i cant get him 'going' again and that i might loose my little buddie.

I dont knw, sox is currently on a diet becuase she is a little too fat (as advised by my vet) because she will eat everything in sight, and now i cant get my little boy to eat.

Its weird, i'm trying to stop one from eating and I'm actually forcing the other one to eat.

ooohhh my mum just gave him 2 pellets and he ate them!!! woo hoo I'm so happy :D

although dont want to get too excited and think he's ok - still not much on the poo front!!

oh and now he is picking at some hay.

Shall i still give him the infacol???? I dont want to mess him up now i seem to have gotten him going

Back