• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CHAPTER 1- Where to get ur new friend from

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Id like Ideas for my new book, the first section being

where to get your new friend from.

Please ONLY post if you wouldnt mind your opinions starring in the next book to hit the world (that will be better than the Da vinci code. lol)

Il be using selected quotes in the book, and if you think u have a pic suitable to the topic that you wouldnt mind being used then please post that 2.

Tell me about recommended rescues (name, where they are, why are they brilliant) but please DONT SLANDER any ''bad'' ones.

Why should we buy/not buy from petshops?

Let me know- this is for the first chapter

Im thinking of compliling a small book / leaflet.

Possibly called ''Rabbits, What REALLY works?''

Id use the forum when writing each topic to get opinions and use ''quotes'' in the book. It will consist of tried and tested things that really work. Text books are full of ideas that rarely materialize.

I want this book to contain brand names- recommended brands REAL facts- like squishing banana on heads (thanks Carys), feeding pineapple juice and swapping poo.

And finally Id like EVERONE to be involved. Id pull up or start a thread for each chapter where we could all put tried and tested methods down. Id compile them all (with a bit of waffle in between) and the pros and cons. Naturally - everyone who helped compile it would have a copy of the leaflet

and maybe Jayne could help with the HEALTH section

let me know what you think-

THANKS all- the author section will be huge

heres the topics so far

Rabbits, What REALLY works? (A compilation of tried and tested methods)

1) Where to get your new friend from.
2) Choosing Your rabbit (breed characteristics’ and major health concerns)
3) So you’re settling in....How to become the best of friends?
4) One Rabbit or Two? How to introduce
5) What’s best to feed my little one?
6) Where shall I put him (Indoors)
7) Housing Styles and exercise indoors
8) Where shall I put him (outdoors)
9) Housing Styles and exercise outdoors.
10) Bunny Excretion, What am I looking for?
11) Look at our buns!
12) Tried and tested toys.
13) Grooming and ingesting Fur.
14) Health Quibbles, symptoms and bunny first aid.
15) Charities and organisations, why join? What do YOU get back?

mady was from a pet shop ! i know lots of people here are anti pet shop but if i hadn't have got mady from there i wouldn't have got such a totally fab bun who is the love of my life ( well apart from my hubby :lol: ) and then never have got so much knowledge about rabbits and become a bunny person !
having said that - when we move to the house we're buying we are hoping to get moo a hus-bun , we'll rehome a boy.
not sure you can use any of that :?

We got Buu from a garden center, but that was before I came on here and realised the problem with the numbers of poor little bunnies in rescues :cry:

Trip I got from a guy who couldnt be bothered anymore :roll: He was 7 months old

Scarlett I got from a girl my sister worked with. Her boyfriend got her as a gift but the girl thought she was ugly and freaky and didnt want her :shock: :? They only had her for 5 days so she was still only a baby when I went and collected her, they hadnt even bothered giving her a name :( :? Here is my gorgeous girly relaxing with Trip, not freaky at all!

000_1118.jpg

Beau I got from a rescue last month. They think he is about 3 years old. He was kept in a tiny hutch with no time out and starved :( Some children spotted the rabbits when they were taking a short cut through someones garden and their parents took them to the rescue. He had a horrible eye infection and doesnt move as well as my other bunnies :(

But it is so rewarding watching him binky round the garden and he has gotten so confident since he has been here :love: He just flops everywhere!

000_0971.jpg

sillyrabbit said:
We got Buu from a garden center, but that was before I came on here and realised the problem with the numbers of poor little bunnies in rescues :cry:

Beau I got from a rescue last month. They think he is about 3 years old. He was kept in a tiny hutch with no time out and starved.He had a horrible eye infection and doesnt move as well as my other bunnies

But it is so rewarding watching him binky round the garden and he has gotten so confident since he has been here.

Im going to use that in my book ok? whats ur name just ur first name and ur are so i can close the quote with it?

Jemma&Theo said:
sillyrabbit said:

Beau I got from a rescue last month. They think he is about 3 years old. He was kept in a tiny hutch with no time out and starved.He had a horrible eye infection and doesnt move as well as my other bunnies

But it is so rewarding watching him binky round the garden and he has gotten so confident since he has been here.

Im going to use that in my book ok? whats ur name just ur first name and ur are so i can close the quote with it?

i mean and were ur from sorry- ur area- im a pleb

I got my gorgeous duo from our local RSPCA. They both came ready bonded, neutered, chipped, vaccinated and health checked. Whenever I hear parents discussing buying a cute bunny from a pet shop I always try to chat to them and point out the benefits of going through a rabbit rescue rather than buying an "unknown" from a shop.

capel said:
I got my gorgeous duo from our local RSPCA. They both came ready bonded, neutered, chipped, vaccinated and health checked. Whenever I hear parents discussing buying a cute bunny from a pet shop I always try to chat to them and point out the benefits of going through a rabbit rescue rather than buying an "unknown" from a shop.

Ill use that 2.

so (without soundin like cilla black) What's yer name and were dya come from

I got Holly from my local petshop form £6 as she was "old stock" but when i joined here i realised that rescues were better so i got my Basil and I loved watching him gain more confidence.

cavysrock said:
I got Holly from my local petshop form £6 as she was "old stock" but when i joined here i realised that rescues were better so i got my Basil and I loved watching him gain more confidence.

Thankyou, whats your name and loacation?

Jemma&Theo said:
cavysrock said:

Thankyou, whats your name and loacation?

Beth from Derbyshire

Do you want Silver's story :?:

Purchased from a pet shop at 8 weeks old, she was bred from continously, often going for weeks without food and water, she was severely abused, from being used as a football to being thrown against the wall and allowing the dog to shake her around, most of the time whilst pregnant :cry:

They finally got fed up with her when she kept killing all her babies because she couldn't care for them :cry: They called me saying if I didn't want her she'd be released in the woods at the back of their house :x

I'd been trying for months to get her and two others out of there, the RSPCA were called and obviously informed them they were coming, 'cos of course hutches were clean, all buns had food and water :x :evil:

Thankfully Silver (formerly Sugar) got out with her life, the others weren't so lucky, Cookie died while being shaken around by the dog and Tiny died from dehydration during the summer of 2003 :cry:

Sil's the lucky one, she escaped with no permanent damage, no broken bones or anything, just a fear of other rabbits and the fear that you were going to hurt her :(

She's six now and has been here for almost four years, she's happy, loves the others buns and loves her mum :love:

Gem said:
Do you want Silver's story :?:

Purchased from a pet shop at 8 weeks old, she was bred from continously, often going for weeks without food and water, she was severely abused, from being used as a football to being thrown against the wall and allowing the dog to shake her around, most of the time whilst pregnant :cry:

They finally got fed up with her when she kept killing all her babies because she couldn't care for them :cry: They called me saying if I didn't want her she'd be released in the woods at the back of their house :x

I'd been trying for months to get her and two others out of there, the RSPCA were called and obviously informed them they were coming, 'cos of course hutches were clean, all buns had food and water :x :evil:

Thankfully Silver (formerly Sugar) got out with her life, the others weren't so lucky, Cookie died while being shaken around by the dog and Tiny died from dehydration during the summer of 2003 :cry:

Sil's the lucky one, she escaped with no permanent damage, no broken bones or anything, just a fear of other rabbits and the fear that you were going to hurt her :(

She's six now and has been here for almost four years, she's happy, loves the others buns and loves her mum :love:

thats so sad :(

I got my first bun Bertie from a petshop.

I then got Molly from a local rescue she was a mini lop and such a lovely girl. I had her spayed and 9 days later she passed away from an infection:( she was just 6 months old :cry:

Then came Fudge he came from Tameside rescue, I was fostering him but I fell in love with him :love: :love: my vet said he'll have dental problems thoughout his life :( so I'm glad I've kept him as he'll got all the vet care he needs now.
Then came Furby, I collected her one stormy night from a very young breeder :( she was only 13 year old girl) she couldn't breed from her so advertised her in free ads. Quite a few people (off here) had tried to get her from there but she never returned emails or phone calls. I was lucky and managed to get her :D .. She went to a foster mum (Capel) Hilda who looked after her very well. She had her spayed and paid for her vaccinations..

I then had Furby when I was looking for a partner for Fudge, they bonded very quickly and are devoted to each other...

Now my new bunny is Fizz she came from B.A.R.C rescue and shes now bonded with Bertie and lives in the house with us :D

i didn't know rescues even existed or about the problem with loads of bunnies.
i got Flopsy and Zelda from a garden center, and they have been good faithful pets for 6 years.
i got them when i was 6, but i didn't get bored of them one bit, and me and my brother took it in turns to feed them everyday :D
if it wasn't for pet shops i would never have the joy of having two bunnies. :D
i haven't bought another rabbit, but i think after finding out about rescues and how many rabbits need homes, so i think i will try to find another rabbit in a rescue when i get another rabbit.

Back