• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Aftercare advise please

Apache

Mama Doe
Alfred had to go and get his teeth done yesterday (first time in 7 months - which is brilliant considering it was monthly when I first got him - the benefits of eating lots of hay now!).

He did seem quite stressed when I brought him back (he'd had to stay in all day), and he won't touch his hay - which is very unusual.

I've been giving him soaked pellets, which he will eat, and some dandelion leaves.

I think his mouth must be feeling sore. He is still prodocing droppings - although not as much as usual.

I've also given him some soaked hay biscuits, which he has picked at (mustn't be as tasty as his pellets). He also has some just grass, which again I've dampened for him.

How long does it usually take for them to be back to normal? And as long as he is eating should I not worry about the hay content for now?

Thanks

Jx

Sorry no advice, just want to say hi, I was thinking about you earlier this week and wondering how you and Alfred were :wave:

Did the Vet give you any analgesia to give Alfred for the next day or so?
Having his teeth burred may have disturbed the tooth roots and made it uncomfortable to chew. Did the Vet say there was any sign of soft tissue damage (cheeks/tongue) from molar spurs? These too would be very sore. If you think he feels uncomfortable today I would contact the Vet and ask if you can give some Metacam for the next couple of days.

You need to ensure that Alfred keeps pooing as the GA will have slowed his guts down and eating less will have the same effect. Hopefully he will gradually eat more throughout today

Janex :)

Thanks Jane - the vet didn't give me any pain relief for him, I did ring them and they said to see how he goes.

Thankfully he is eating more now, he's demolished a couple of timothy hay biscuits (not soaked), plenty of soaked pellets, and some just grass.

He isn't interested in his normal hay, although I'd recently ordered a hay basked from the hay experts which came stuffed with orchard grass, so I've given him some of that as it is much softer in texture than his normal meadow hay, and he has eaten quite a bit of that.

I also give him some organic water cress and grated carrot, both of which went down well.

This isn't very close to his normal diet, but at least he is still eating, and producing plenty pellets.

Thanks again

Jx

kayjay said:
Sorry no advice, just want to say hi, I was thinking about you earlier this week and wondering how you and Alfred were :wave:

Thanks Kayjay - that's really nice of you :D

We're all fine (well Alfred nearly fine!) - he loves being a house rabbit, and he likes to relax in the evening streched out on the sofa or the rug, showing his furry feet :lol:

Hope MJ & Pippa are still very loved up.

Take care

Jx

Hiya,
My rabbit has had his teeth done a couple of times and he wasnt really in the mood to eat until he was more awake. The next day after he was eating his food quite happily x

Thanks,

He still isn't eating properly, I took him back to the vets this morning, and he was given an injection for pain relief.

He will be going back again in the morning, as he still isn't eating any hay.

He will eat pellets / dandelion leaves etc, so he is eating something.

Hopefully he will be back to normal soon.

Jx

Back