• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eddie's and ? Heart Disease-U/D-20/3-Seeing Christobel Today

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I THINK Eddie has the same problem as Norman :cry: I cant believe this :cry: Yet another Rex with Heart Disease..... :cry:

I will be speaking with Christobel later this morning.

BLOODY INBREEDING.............. :x :cry:

Janex

oh Jane how awful. I've never had a rex, is it something they are prone to? I know some dog breeds have heart problems, my friend keeps King Charles spaniels, and though none of them are related (she has about 6 now I think :roll: ) they all have heart problems and she bulk buys her meds from the vet :shock:

tupperwarequeen said:
oh Jane how awful. I've never had a rex, is it something they are prone to? I know some dog breeds have heart problems, my friend keeps King Charles spaniels, and though none of them are related (she has about 6 now I think :roll: ) they all have heart problems and she bulk buys her meds from the vet :shock:

No Breeder will ADMIT there is a problem in some Breed Lines but there clearly is. I have spoken to lots of people about this, including Vets. There was meant to be a study at the Bristol Rabbit Clinic into Heart problems in Buns. But for some reason it never went ahead...... :cry:

The trouble is that with so little research being done even obtaining a clinical diagnosis (often at vast expense-ie approx £800) there are no Rabbit Cardiologists!! So treatment is often based on what is done in Cats which may or may not be appropriate--no-one knows!!

Janex

It must be so frustrating Jane. Poor Eddie, I hope he just under the weather and your suspicions are unfounded.

Why don't BRC / RWA get some rabbit medical research underway, it seems to be a common problem :?

tupperwarequeen said:
It must be so frustrating Jane. Poor Eddie, I hope he just under the weather and your suspicions are unfounded.

Why don't BRC / RWA get some rabbit medical research underway, it seems to be a common problem :?

Well the BRC wont because their Breeders wont want to stop using a 'good breed line' :roll: :x After all the perfect ears and coat are so much more important than a heart that works for more than 2 years :x :cry: :x

I know the RWA gave a large grant (£20,000 rings a bell but dont quote me on that figure) to a Vet at Bristol in order to carry out a study into EC.
Dont know why the cardiac one never happened though..... :cry:

Janex

cannonwoman said:
How is Eddie this evening Jane?

Su.x

In himself he is fine. But his respiration rate at rest is adnormal, increased rate and effort. He has a history of 'Snuffles' and he has increased lung sounds (left lung) today. I have spoken with Christobel and she has advised starting him on Penicillin Injections in the first instance. Eddie's heart rate is increased but there is no obvious dysrhythmia (unlike poor Norman who's heart through off totally chaotic beats :cry: )

I guess for Eddie its a case of 'wait and see'........

Janex

Back